• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pixo View Post
    Fullscreen with effect off.
    Yeah, that was working for everyone and forever. Except you it seems :P

Comment

• Just a little more info, I had:
      Code:
      Feb 22 14:04:08 test kernel: [   61.049310] compiz.real[4996]: segfault at 281e000 ip 00007ff5310cf833 sp 00007fff354e0f48 error 4 in libc-2.10.1.so[7ff53104d000+166000]
      Feb 22 14:07:05 test kernel: [  238.178185] compiz.real[18539]: segfault at 2e79000 ip 00007f5fd395a8f0 sp 00007fffd070ff98 error 4 in libc-2.10.1.so[7f5fd38d8000+166000]
      in my logs.

I knew something was up when I rebooted and it took significantly longer than usual for the desktop to come up to a workable state and my Terminal popped up on desktop 1.

Comment

• [STUPID edit timeout...]

Remember this is Ubuntu 9.10 x86-64
        Intel P8600 4GB DDR2
        Catalyst 10.2
        Radeon Mobility HD 4850 512MB GDDR3

(I also use getdeb & medibuntu repos...)

Comment

• Very bad experience

Some days ago, I've buyed an Radeon 5850. I'm testing it with Ubuntu 9.10 and last Catalyst 10.2.
          The experience it's very bad.
          With compiz on, and any output, I get a lot of video tearing...
          With compiz off, and opengl output, the tearing seem fixed but gnome it's very slow and stutter when I move gnome windows.
          I hope AMD work fast to fix this problems...

Comment

• I've tried also to set TexturedVideoSync, force resolution+fresh, and other settings... and no one help the situation.

Comment

• you bought your card at a bad moment....install 10.1....I have my 5770 running on it fine (there is some very minor tearing in compiz, using gl for video output and setting the unredirect fullscreen windows in compiz settings fixes most video player curruption ) When I installed 10.2 I had a similar experience......there some conflict going on with compiz's 3d renering, which somehow seems to affect the 5XXX cards worse than most...give it till the next driver release this month before you give up and sell your otherwise beautiful new card

Comment

• i recently installed lucid with the open source ati drivers and i noticed how much fglrx sucks with compiz.
                i mean all the desktop effects feel way smoother with the oss drivers.
                is there any good reason for fglrx to have such a bad performance?

Comment

• AFAIK the main issue is a combination of two things :

1. Starting with Ubuntu 9.04 a long-standing X server patch (the "no backfill" patch) was removed because it caused problems with recent Intel drivers. The patch was originally implemented to avoid delays when unminimizing windows on a driver with XAA acceleration, which was the most common 2D acceleration API at the time.

2. The fglrx driver implements XAA for 2D acceleration, while the open drivers implement EXA, so the result of removing the patch was sucky 2D performance in certain cases with fglrx.

Work is being done on fglrx to provide similar capabilities to EXA 2D acceleration, and in the meantime a "no backclear" patch has been implemented (replacing the "no backfill" patch) which addresses the delays while avoiding the problem with Intel GPUs.
                  Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    AFAIK the main issue is a combination of two things :

1. Starting with Ubuntu 9.04 a long-standing X server patch (the "no backfill" patch) was removed because it caused problems with recent Intel drivers. The patch was originally implemented to avoid delays when unminimizing windows on a driver with XAA acceleration, which was the most common 2D acceleration API at the time.

2. The fglrx driver implements XAA for 2D acceleration, while the open drivers implement EXA, so the result of removing the patch was sucky 2D performance in certain cases with fglrx.

Work is being done on fglrx to provide similar capabilities to EXA 2D acceleration, and in the meantime a "no backclear" patch has been implemented (replacing the "no backfill" patch) which addresses the delays while avoiding the problem with Intel GPUs.
                    thanks for the info

Comment

• Originally posted by psychok9 View Post
                      I've tried also to set TexturedVideoSync, force resolution+fresh, and other settings... and no one help the situation.
                      for me it's quite the opposite:

5770 works crappy (on Ubuntu 9.10 64bit) now

and

5850 works great with Gentoo (of course ! everything works exceptionally well on my system )

so the lagging windows is a problem of the configuration of your xorg.conf (which on ubuntu almost doesn't exist)

and of course the lack of a patched xorg-server with the backfill patch

Comment

Working...
                      X