Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
    I've lost all hope in fglrx.

What's the status on the opensource driver for HD 4870? Have they got rid of all the 3D issues yet?
    I have got 4850 and opensource driver is great here .
    KMS, great 2D, no problems with composite.
    With fresh git builds there is also tear-free opengl - now even flash video is tear-free <~~ but unfortunetly with this vline (v-sync) games arent as fast as they were before... But for example q3a is faster with this v-sync than with catalyst v-sync :PPP
    So not for gamers...
    And this driver is stable like egyptian piramid...

Comment

Originally posted by krionius View Post
      Thanks for the answer!

After that and editing the ".default" file, it keeps the setting. But in Xorg log I cannot see anything containing 'hook'.
      It says it's loading XAA acceleration modules. Any ideas? Is there a way to force this?

Don't modify the .default file. Your xorg log should have this entry if it's working:

Code:
      (**) fglrx(0): 2D Acceleration through direct hook is enabled

Comment

Tested new fglrx 2D accel with qgears (XRender backend obviously) vs. radeon OSS and radeon is faster.

Comment

Direct2D in fglrx is still too new. It's slower all across the board. Maybe by 10.5 they will get it right. Can those that are able to use Compiz and KDE4 desktop effects tell whether direct2d improves performance or not? Running GUIToolkits on PTS with Compiz/Kwin effects on should be enough for a quick comparative glance.

Comment

At least with this release, jaunty and karmic 64-bit packages can be built without extraction. I wish Squeeze would be the same; better yet, support for xserver 1.7.....

Comment

Since the drivers suck (duh), but they will be awesome in the future, you can use this service to get the next decade's Catalyst Driver's (will probably support X.Org 1.7 too.)

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Since the drivers suck (duh), but they will be awesome in the future, you can use this service to get the next decade's Catalyst Driver's (will probably support X.Org 1.7 too.)
                I swear when I had my 9800 np I thought "hey in 2 years these drivers will be great, in fact they will be better than Nvidia's drivers!" I feel used...

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
                  New features in this release:
                  - no more Compiz !
                  - ability to hard freeze the kernel
                  - decrease that pesky performance

Coming up next in 10.3:
                  - X server will not work at all (who needs it anyway right?)
                  - hard freeze the kernel automatically!
                  - deprecate acceleration, forward everything to CPU
                  lol, I'm still laughing xD

Comment

So just wrote a script to test xbmc in home (currently fails to build on 64 bit), but that reveiled a new fglrx bug: glsl rendering is broken, only arb works. i really don't know what ati devs test before they release such a crap...

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                      Don't modify the .default file. Your xorg log should have this entry if it's working:

Code:
                      (**) fglrx(0): 2D Acceleration through direct hook is enabled
                      I will be able to test Compiz enabled desktop speed comparatively (you asked above), if i could get d2daccel work. So far it switches to Xaa no matter what i have in the /etc/ati.

Can someone with working direct2d share her/his /etce/X11/xorg.conf and /etc/ati dir here so that I can try it with compiz?

Comment

Working...
                      X