Very fast 2D graphics in Lucid!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madman2k View Post
    so I guess it was indeed the GTK work: https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lu....19.5-1ubuntu3
    I see, very nice! So that's what makes Compiz resizing so smooth. Only works with some window-themes.

But that doesn't explain why my gtkperf score improved from 12 to 5!
    However...

Comment

Originally posted by zika View Post
      As of yesterday, or day before, I'm getting a huge regression in rendering speed on my desktop (Lucid, xorg-edgers, ATI HD3650)... Both 2D and 3D...
      GTKPerf dropped from 5.00 (was less than 4 weeks ago) to 8+...
      ...mine also dropped from 5 to 8+ today! Can't be that many packages, should be possible to find with some free time at hand...

Comment

If I start from a livecd dated 20100215.1 I still get 5 secs in gtkperf. However it doesn't go down even if I upgrade all packages and restart X.

Comment

Xserver 1.8 should further improve the EXA performance (not in Lucid, though).

Comment

As of yesterday, or day before, I'm getting a huge regression in rendering speed on my desktop (Lucid, xorg-edgers, ATI HD3650)... Both 2D and 3D...
            GTKPerf dropped from 5.00 (was less than 4 weeks ago) to 8+...

Ah, that's probably a change in GTK so nothing to do with the radeon drivers:
            After latest gtk+2.0 upgrade rhythmbox has started using a lot of cpu cycles along with X. Doesn't help to minimize window but when I close it to "tray" cpu usage is back to normal. ProblemType: Bug Architecture: i386 CheckboxSubmission: c796df2c03d28b45a22c8d1850f0e643 CheckboxSystem: bb422ca46d02494cdbc459927a98bc2f Date: Thu Feb 18 18:21:12 2010 DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04 EcryptfsInUse: Yes InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" - Alpha i386 (20100201) Package: libgtk2.0-0 2.19.5-1...

Comment

I do not know what is the reason, but I'm back to less than 5 in GTKPref... I love it. Who ever fixed it, good job.

Comment

I do not know what is the reason, but I'm back to less than 5 in GTKPref... I love it. Who ever fixed it, good job.
                It's an update gtk package where the bug I linked above has been fixed.

Comment

GTK+ 2.18 vs. 2.20

This very fast graphics is said to come from client side windows. But this was introduced already in 2.18. So there are two options:
                  1. client side windows where somehow disabled in karmic's version of gtk+-2.18
                  2. There where performance improvements introduced during the development of gtk+-2.20

Anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by leidola View Post
                    This very fast graphics is said to come from client side windows. But this was introduced already in 2.18. So there are two options:
                    1. client side windows where somehow disabled in karmic's version of gtk+-2.18
                    2. There where performance improvements introduced during the development of gtk+-2.20

Anybody?
                    client side windows and client side decorations are two different things.
                    c-s-decorations is new in Lucid.
                    But there must be other work in Lucid also, both in Xorg and gtk.

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
                      client side windows and client side decorations are two different things.
                      I know. The first one is to prevent creating a X window for every widget and to make the code more portable, the second one is for drawing -- well -- decorations on the client side (something like chromium does).

Comment

Working...
                      X