No announcement yet.

Very fast 2D graphics in Lucid!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well i think there was in a fact a change too in Xserver or radeon too cuz my kde4.4 and qt apps are screaming performance. in fact in karmic even with nvidia drivers on my quad core laptop xrender composite was sluggish and delayed if i moved stuff too fast but now with latest xorg edgers and radeon in lucid my desktop phenom II 965@3,9 ghz composite faster in xrender than opengl do. so maybe it was some xserver 1.7.5 magick i think and some exa optimization on the driver side either way it rocks

Comment

By now you'd think there would already be a smooth desktop experience for a desktop system like this. Good news none the less.

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
        Ah, that's probably a change in GTK
        Unlikely:

GtkEntry - time: 0,05
        GtkComboBox - time: 0,83
        GtkComboBoxEntry - time: 0,69
        GtkSpinButton - time: 0,14
        GtkProgressBar - time: 0,11
        GtkToggleButton - time: 0,09
        GtkCheckButton - time: 0,06
        GtkRadioButton - time: 0,09
        GtkTextView - Add text - time: 0,62
        GtkTextView - Scroll - time: 0,21
        GtkDrawingArea - Lines - time: 0,41
        GtkDrawingArea - Circles - time: 0,44
        GtkDrawingArea - Text - time: 0,83
        GtkDrawingArea - Pixbufs - time: 0,13
        ---
        Total time: 4,71

Kubuntu Karmic with the latest kernel and xorg-edgers packages.

Comment

Originally posted by rob2687 View Post
          By now you'd think there would already be a smooth desktop experience for a desktop system like this. Good news none the less.
          Firefox and OpenOffice.org interface is still sluggish.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            Unlikely:

Kubuntu Karmic with the latest kernel and xorg-edgers packages.
            I think the scores are dependent on the hardware specs. With Lucid I get ~11 and with Karmic I get ~14. On Karmic I tested both xorg edgers and the stock Karmic packages.

Comment

I think this bug report is relevant to the discussion.

Looks like the sluggish firefox UI might not be fixed until GTK 3.. anyone know if this is true?

Comment

Wouldn't that be more of a driver issue rather than a GTK one?

Comment

Besides the artificial benchmarks it's really just Firefox and Flash lack of performance that are annoying to me. Let's face it, Firefox is just really embarrassing slow. Once Chromium has matured enough to suit my needs I'll probably dump Firefox.

Comment

I'm just waiting for NoScript type functionality. I'll miss many of the plugins I have grown accustomed too, but most already have Chrome equivalents that aren't that much worse when it comes down to it.

Comment

There's really stuff going on here, because with some bleeding edge packages on Karmic I can get a 3 second gtkperf score now!
                      That's with kernel 2.6.34-020634rc1-generic and the "Mist" gnome theme. :-)
                      ii xserver-xorg-video-radeon 1:6.12.191+git20100302.e6dc8866-0ubuntu0sarvatt~karmic X.Org X server -- ATI Radeon display driver
                      ii libdrm-radeon1 2.4.19+git20100307.04fd3872-0ubuntu0sarvatt~karmic Userspace interface to radeon-specific kerne

Comment

Working...
                      X