AMD Reveals Upcoming Catalyst Driver Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It should be out in a few hours.
    Let's hope it is stable, stable and stable and the install procedure will work flawlessly with every supported chip.

Comment

It doesn't have to work with every chip. It only has to work with my chip.

Comment

120Hz 3d? Could this mean quad-buffer-stereo on consumer-level cards? If so, wow! I mean, I'll even forgive them for the hours I've spent working around their OpenGL bugs.

In all seriousness, this is a ballsy move (assuming it is true), which could *seriously* damage Nvidia's almost-total workstation stranglehold.

Comment

10.2 is out:

Release notes aren't accessible, yet, it seems...

Comment

Wow, I can't believe it. They really finally fixed running two X sessions at the same time on different screens; that had been broken on my computer(s) since one and a half year or so

Comment

About compiz: alpha blur is broken again, focus blur seems to work now. Both look strange when my KDE 4 panel is aligned to the left screen border... could be a Compiz issue as well though.

(Sorry for triple posting, but apparently one can't edit his/her posts anymore if one minute has expired... spam protection and stuff I guess)

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                r600/r700-support will be dropped in fglrx as soon as it will be dropped in the windows-drivers. Not sooner, not later.

When it will be dropped in the windows drivers is currently unknown (even to AMD), but it won't be anytime soon while the hardware is still being sold.

There was some talk about that in this thread and the following pages.

If you add bridgman's posts together and ask your crystal ball, you'd see that you needn't worry for at least two more years. In all likelihood quite a bit more. Expecting a drop next month is either being uninformed or downright trolling.
                Besides, in two years both the OS drivers and the underlying linux gfx stack will be mature and fast enough that very few consumers will care about fglrx anyway.

(Disclaimer: predictions about the future may or may not apply to the actual timeline you happen to exist in)
                I hope that AMD just drop the support of linux driver for R600/R700. I install Catalyst 10.1 and run Savage 2 and HoN. So badly I can not play them. It is full of bugs.

Why not opensource their drivers like Intel? OSS drivers do better than AMD's.

AMD should not add new features to their drivers, before fixing the bugs and improving the performance. 2D acceleration should be switched from XAA to EXA.

I have uninstalled Catalyst 10.1 on my father's karmic. I will install the latest mesa and xf86-video-ati and kernel-2.6.32 from PPA.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                  r600/r700-support will be dropped in fglrx as soon as it will be dropped in the windows-drivers. Not sooner, not later.

When it will be dropped in the windows drivers is currently unknown (even to AMD), but it won't be anytime soon while the hardware is still being sold.

There was some talk about that in this thread and the following pages.

If you add bridgman's posts together and ask your crystal ball, you'd see that you needn't worry for at least two more years. In all likelihood quite a bit more. Expecting a drop next month is either being uninformed or downright trolling.
                  Besides, in two years both the OS drivers and the underlying linux gfx stack will be mature and fast enough that very few consumers will care about fglrx anyway.

(Disclaimer: predictions about the future may or may not apply to the actual timeline you happen to exist in)

I hope that AMD just drop the support of linux driver for R600/R700. I install Catalyst 10.1 and run Savage 2 and HoN. So badly I can not play them. It is full of bugs.

AMD should not add new features to their drivers, before fixing the bugs and improving the performance. 2D acceleration should be switched from XAA to EXA.

I have uninstalled Catalyst 10.1 on my father's karmic. I will install the latest mesa and xf86-video-ati and kernel-2.6.32 from PPA.

Comment

Originally posted by liangsuilong View Post

I don't know what's more confusing about this post: The fact that AMD DID open source their cards in the same way Intel did, or the fact that the poster even mentions AMD's open source project in the same post.

Comment

Working...
                    X