Radeon KMS Gets Faster X-Video Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
    I did a small 2D test a while ago with my 200M. Been meaning to do one with my HD4850, but the damn thing takes so long to finish . Will cook up one for Xv as well latter this week.
    Thanks for the figures. Hmm, doesn't look that bright with KMS enabled. Well, but then it's considered still being in development. So, I guess more waiting until the situation becomes better from the user's side will do.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I switched from fglrx drivers to radeon to get KMS some time ago, and got noticeable improvements in 2D (mainly scrolling and Kwin desktop effects) and video playback, as well as improved stability and fewer rendering bugs. I never did any actual benchmarks though, so this observation is more anecdotal than scientific.

Anyway, even if KMS isn't as good as UMS yet, it still beats fglrx, so it's really nothing to complain about...

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        No, I'm still running UMS until I get a legitimate reason to run KMS.
        I can give you two, at least for my workflow.
        1) No delay or flickering when changeing virtual terminals (Ctrl+Alt+Fx)
        2) OpenGL acceleration on more than one virtual terminal simultaneously!

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          No, I'm still running UMS until I get a legitimate reason to run KMS.
          The following isn't enough of a reason?

(OpenGL is not getting composited.)

Comment

DRI2 doesn't need KMS.

Comment

I though it did. How do you get DRI2 without KMS then? Anyway, another reason to use KMS is that without it you loose like 90% of your advanced OpenGL functionality in the drivers; not bad if you don't use the drivers for 3D stuff though.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                DRI2 doesn't need KMS.
                Maybe not explicitly, but KMS is required for DRI2 on Radeons.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                  DRI2 doesn't need KMS.
                  Oh yes, it does.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    Oh yes, it does.
                    No. The radeon developers chose to only support it with KMS, though. In general, KMS is not a requirement to make DRI2 work.

Comment

This thread is titled "Radeon KMS Gets Faster X-Video Support" so it is assumed that we are talking about the radeon driver in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                      X