Moblin & Maemo Make Love: Out Comes MeeGo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not talking about Android.
    Nokia now has MeGoo and Maemo. Both Linux and both for mobile devices. What's the reason to have both?

Comment

I have a feeling MeGoo is replacing Maemo for Nokia and Moblin for Intel - well it isn't even Intels baby any more since FSF got it's mits on it

In face has their been any further development of it since Intel let it go?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        I have a feeling MeGoo is replacing Maemo for Nokia and Moblin for Intel - well it isn't even Intels baby any more since FSF got it's mits on it

In face has their been any further development of it since Intel let it go?
        Actually the Linux Foundation has Moblin. There is a difference. One employs Linus, the other is run by Stallman.

I was wanting to get an Android device like the Nexus One or the Zii Egg to use mostly as an MP3 player/web browser, but if a Meego device comes out fast enough I'll certainly get one instead.

As a KDE user, I like Qt much more than Gtk, and with Fedora being my second favorite distro (Gentoo is #1), I'm cool with RPMs.

Comment

qt and now rpms? kthnxbai 7:

Comment

Great move

It's great to hear that two nice mobile Linux distros are consolidating into one bigger player. And it's very reasuring that Linux Foundation is governing it, so we can be sure it will stay Free and neutral. Awesome choice of Qt for official toolkit too, currently probably the most advanced and with a lot of activity behind it. As for RPM vs. DEB, well nowdays they are so similar that it is just not worth loosing any hair over this. Now my only hope is that Nokia will reaplace Symbian with this, on all phones

Comment

Oh noes RPMs, oh why, oh why Nokia. And co-working with evil Intel.
              I was going to buy Maemo based product but oh well no need to worry about that anymore.

Welcome Android

Comment

IMHO this is good and makes sense. The two platforms were similar, and will surely benefit from uniting their resources.

RPM - so what? I know I'll be looking at the fruits in source form, not likely to run the distro anyway.

Comment

ALL of the faults that people tend to have with RPM have been solved. When it comes down to it, there is ZERO functional difference between a .deb and a .rpm. They both are an archive of files, they both contain a list of dependencies, and they both have several layers of pre and post install/uninstall scripts.

MOST of the issues with RPM have involved circular dependencies -- this was solved with YUM, and with speed (check out delta rpms -- very very fast since it only transfers and installs the deltas).

But more to the point, I have no faith in either maemo or moblin. Intel doesn't exactly have a strong track record for supporting their mobile hardware -- how many here have a netbook with a poulsbo video adapter? Right -- its a bit of a nightmare getting it working with an up-to-date distro since they don't support Xorg 1.7.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    But more to the point, I have no faith in either maemo or moblin. Intel doesn't exactly have a strong track record for supporting their mobile hardware -- how many here have a netbook with a poulsbo video adapter? Right -- its a bit of a nightmare getting it working with an up-to-date distro since they don't support Xorg 1.7.
                    Poulsbo belongs to PowerVR and not Intel.
                    As far as I have seen, there is not problem with the Intel's graphics cards, old or newer.

Comment

I can't help but think of Lovecraft's Mi-go when I read about this project.

Comment

Working...
                      X