Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Has Gallium3D Support In Fedora 13

Phoronix: NVIDIA Has Gallium3D Support In Fedora 13

While it's exciting to have kernel mode-setting, RandR, and EXA / X-Video acceleration for NVIDIA hardware in an open-source driver that is reliable since the mainlining of its DRM code and its adoption in Ubuntu 10.04 and other distributions, Fedora has already employed Nouveau support to various extents in their recent releases. Fedora started out by shipping the Nouveau DDX driver, then turned to kernel mode-setting support that has matured and is used by default with the current Fedora 12 release. With Fedora 13, Red Hat is again shipping with the latest free software NVIDIA bits, which now includes 3D support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this is great! linux graphics are finally going somewhere! i love gallium

Needless to say, this week we will be delivering Nouveau Gallium3D benchmarks atop Fedora Rawhide.
    exciting!
    although, i doubt the performance will be anything usable yet. at least with any detail settings...

so he's using a 9400 gt? i think my 9600m gs is pretty much the same card, so i should see similar performance to him. they both have 32 shader units, or whatever they're called now.

Comment

Nope the 9400gt has 16 units and is not really fast.

Comment

Originally posted by rudl View Post
        Nope the 9400gt has 16 units and is not really fast.
        oh, thanks.
        that's right, my 9600m gs is actually a downclocked 9500 gt, not a 9400.

so i should get reasonable performance. in that screenshot of nexuiz it said 20 fps. that's not bad at all. all of the settings were probably down, but that's still okay.
        i guess we'll just see when Phoronix does benches.

Comment

That's amazing. How did they managed without any documentation?

Comment

Foss ftw

Comment

Originally posted by mar04 View Post
              That's amazing. How did they managed without any documentation?
              That would've been my question as well.

Does it mean they got some (inofficial) support by nVidia?
              Or - Are the devs that good?
              Or - Is it that easy?

Comment

Kudos to the nouveau people for getting so far so quickly. I'm still looking forward to the r300g driver getting general release support

Comment

i`ve been waiting for this long time. Although the binary nvidia blob is working like a charm for me, there is nothing comparing to oss. goo nouveau. :

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    Kudos to the nouveau people for getting so far so quickly. I'm still looking forward to the r300g driver getting general release support
                    I doubt that nouveau is ahead of/more mature than r300g. Last time I tried r300g it was able to play quake-ish games, including Nexuiz. Performance was ok-ish.

Comment

Working...
                    X