Hybrid ATI/ATI - Intel/ATI solution: small switcheroo how to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dogsleg View Post
    Is it my fault or a bug in X/radeon/kernel? What you, guys, can advise me?
    You have a muxless systems (i.e., the laptop panel is only attached to the integrated GPU). The panel is not attached to the discrete card so there is no way to switch. To properly support muxless systems the X server needs significant architectural changes to decouple rendering and display (basically both GPUs are active and the discrete card renders into a buffer that is shared with the integrated card. The integrated card then composites that buffer with the rest of the desktop when it updates the screen. There is some work going on to support this, but it's not ready yet.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      You have a muxless systems (i.e., the laptop panel is only attached to the integrated GPU). The panel is not attached to the discrete card so there is no way to switch. To properly support muxless systems the X server needs significant architectural changes to decouple rendering and display (basically both GPUs are active and the discrete card renders into a buffer that is shared with the integrated card. The integrated card then composites that buffer with the rest of the desktop when it updates the screen. There is some work going on to support this, but it's not ready yet.
      Well, I can switch between integrated and discrete cards when using fglrx (beginning from 11.8 version till up-to-date). So fglrx doesn't depend on X server architecture for switching? Is it contains some bypass that allows to support muxless systems?

Comment

Originally posted by dogsleg View Post
        Well, I can switch between integrated and discrete cards when using fglrx (beginning from 11.8 version till up-to-date). So fglrx doesn't depend on X server architecture for switching? Is it contains some bypass that allows to support muxless systems?
        fglrx handles it internally. It's a hack to workaround the limitations of the xserver. The open driver could do it internally as well, but time would be better spent on doing it right, plus it solves a lot of other problems (hotplug of USB displays, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          fglrx handles it internally. It's a hack to workaround the limitations of the xserver. The open driver could do it internally as well, but time would be better spent on doing it right, plus it solves a lot of other problems (hotplug of USB displays, etc.).
          Thanks for your answers!

Hope that with going X.Org GPU hot-plugging into mainline the support for muxless cards is a very near thing. Muxless support is a business not only for AMD, yep. May be there is some info on the progress to handle it?

Comment

Working...
          X