No announcement yet.

Hybrid ATI/ATI - Intel/ATI solution: small switcheroo how to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And I can replace "sudo killall -u 'username'" with "gnome-session-save --logout".
    So now, no need to be root or use sudo! Great, thank for your suggestions Kano. Now I will change the scrip from the HowTo.

Comment

Several days have passed since I have installed linux and I have found a trouble with wine. None of apps under wine could use 3D acceleration. Niether OpenGL apps nor DirectX.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreastr View Post
        Several days have passed since I have installed linux and I have found a trouble with wine. None of apps under wine could use 3D acceleration. Niether OpenGL apps nor DirectX.
        using 64bit?
        well at least i had the problem with proprietary drivers, but maybe its different for the oss driver.

Comment

Yes, 64 bit. I had messages like:
          fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33e1e4,0x00000000), stub!
          fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
          fixme:d3d:debug_fbostatus Unrecognied FBO status 0x00000000
          fixme:d3d:check_fbo_status FBO status unrecognized (0)
          fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateQuery (0x137620) Event query: Unimplemented, but pretending to be supported
          fixme:d3d9:IDirect3DDevice9Impl_CreateSurface (0x133cd8) call to IWineD3DDevice_CreateSurface failed
          fixme:d3d93D9CB_CreateSurface (0x133cd8) IDirect3DDevice9_CreateSurface failed
          fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateTexture Failed to create surface 0x9751090
          fixme:d3d9:IDirect3DDevice9Impl_CreateTexture (0x133cd8) call to IWineD3DDevice_CreateTexture failed
          fixme:d3d:debug_fbostatus Unrecognied FBO status 0x00000000
          fixme:d3d:check_fbo_status FBO status unrecognized (0)
          fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateQuery (0x137620) Event query: Unimplemented, but pretending to be supported

After I did export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib32/dri/
          I have another bunch of errors:

fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_FillGLCaps OpenGL implementation supports 16 vertex samplers and 16 total samplers
          fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_FillGLCaps Expected vertex samplers + MAX_TEXTURES(=8) > combined_samplers
          fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33e1e4,0x00000000), stub!
          fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
          fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateQuery (0x136e08) Event query: Unimplemented, but pretending to be supported
          fixme:d3d9:IDirect3DDevice9Impl_CreateSurface (0x133b10) call to IWineD3DDevice_CreateSurface failed
          fixme:d3d93D9CB_CreateSurface (0x133b10) IDirect3DDevice9_CreateSurface failed
          fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateTexture Failed to create surface 0xa1f02b0
          fixme:d3d9:IDirect3DDevice9Impl_CreateTexture (0x133b10) call to IWineD3DDevice_CreateTexture failed
          fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateQuery (0x136e08) Event query: Unimplemented, but pretending to be supported

Or something like this:

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00340000 at address 0x4016da (thread 0044), starting debugger...
          Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00340000 in 32-bit code (0x004016da).

Comment

I am trying to adapt the same switcheroo functionality on Ubuntu Lucid with Asus M51TR notebook with hd3200/hd3470 adapters and am following that guide to compile the kernel from gid:
            A Virtual Home - Articles about Python, Django, and infrastructure

and have some difficulties understanding the whole picture with the patches for that functionality from Airlied. Where /in the guide/ exactly have to apply the patches /I suppose that the "0001..." and "0002..." shows the sequence by itself../ and which kernel should I checkout from git.
            Thanks in advance. If someone didn't noticed already I'm almost a complete newbie

P.S. In one of the comments in your blogpost here an user "ER" said that the switcheroo functionality is already compiled in the kernel after 2.6.34, but I still have no "/sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo" folder and I have 2.6.35 installed.

P.S.2 I am bulgarian, excuse me for my English if there's errors...

Comment

switcheroo has been in kernel for a while now. You need to make sure you've compiled switcheroo support and mount debugfs.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                switcheroo has been in kernel for a while now. You need to make sure you've compiled switcheroo support and mount debugfs.
                With "complete newbie" I meant a "haven't compiled kernel never before newbie". Is there an easy way to explain how to compile switcheroo support, thanks again for the help

Comment

I have an HP DV6 with ATI 5650 and Intel GMA (not sure of version)

Basically I want to have ATI enabled by default and I'm not overly worried about switching between them. I just want my gaming and visual editing options with my laptop under Ubuntu. Is there an updated script for this I can get, perhaps to setup the kenerl also?

Cheers,
                  Zeb

Comment

Originally posted by ZebCarnell View Post
                    I have an HP DV6 with ATI 5650 and Intel GMA (not sure of version)

Basically I want to have ATI enabled by default and I'm not overly worried about switching between them. I just want my gaming and visual editing options with my laptop under Ubuntu. Is there an updated script for this I can get, perhaps to setup the kenerl also?

Cheers,
                    Zeb
                    It should be default with the Ati, if it is not, then the script will only help you with switching between them, but only under Fedora for now.

I know there is switcheroo support till 2.6.34, but when I get the source from git and perform custom configuration /as said here/ the "Laptop Hybrid Graphics - GPU Switching Support" is missing from Device Drivers -> Graphics Support and what is more frustrating, no matter what version I checkout /for example Ubuntu-lts-2.6.35-xxxx/ in the "debian/rules editconfigs" at the top of the window is 2.6.32-xxxx.

Comment

Recently I tried 2.6.35. There are new power saving options for ati graphics cards, still there's no increase in uptime on battery.

Also standby does not work, display stays black after waking up the laptop. Is this issue known, will something be done about it?

Greetings

Comment

Working...
                      X