Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razer DeathAdder 1800DPI

Phoronix: Razer DeathAdder 1800DPI

There are some community projects like Lomoco for providing configuration controls for Logitech mice under Linux, but this project and others have not exactly moved along at a brisk pace even though mice drivers are much simpler than say graphics cards or most other hardware components. For Razer mice, there was RazerTool, a simple project to provide some basic tweaking options for select Razer mice under Linux, but that project has been defunct since early 2007. Even with the lack of configuration tools or specialized drivers for Razer mice (or keyboards and other peripherals) on Linux, we still end up falling in love with their hardware as the build quality of their products are phenomenal, the products we have tested have been designed very well, and they really have just been excellent products. Back in February of 2007 we tested out the Razer DeathAdder, which was an example of a great Razer product and received our Editor's Choice Award, but today we are trying out the 1800 DPI version of their DeathAdder gaming mouse.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Whilst the lack of native Linux software for Razer's mice is a shame, it's worth noting that the high-end mice (those with "Razer Synapse" memory) actually store their configuration in the mouse. That means that you can configure profiles, button mappings/macros, etc. using a Windows box and then use those very same settings in whatever OS you happen to be using.

OK, it's not perfect... but since I dual-boot anyway for games, I set my Lachesis mice up like that. About the only thing the (windows) driver itself is responsible for is "On the fly Sensitivity" - a feature I never use anyway - so I actually get the same use out of the mouse on Linux as I do on Windows... once it's been set up, anyway.

I wonder if (non-OSS) VirtualBox's USB support would allow the Razer Configurator to function?

Comment

Actually, there IS linux software for configuring razer mouse. And it's quite good too!
      Razer device configuration tool

Comment

I can vouch for the deathadder. It is my favorite mouse and I don't even use it for gaming - it is just very comfortable, precise, and well built. I own both the deathadder and the lachesis and I personally prefer the deathadder for it's ergonomic shape. I think it depends on the person because my dad hates the deathadder (he claims the buttons on the side get in the way which I've never noticed) and likes the lachesis.

I think it somewhat depends upon how you hold it. I put my whole hand over the mouse and like the high dome of the deathadder. People who use their fingertips will probably not like the mouse due to the aforementioned button problem, but the lachesis might be better for you.

As far as the sensor goes, i honestly can't tell the difference. I find that the lachesis laser mouse skips and has a few weird quirks about it that I don't notice with the 3G sensor.

Another small gripe about the deathadder is it's a dirt magnet. All the little groves between buttons and joints suck in all the dead skin cells and dirt or whatever - even the foot pads and textured surface get a coating of grime very fast. I have to clean it out with a knife every few days.

Otherwise, I completely agree this mouse is a serious tool for both gaming and day-to-day use.

Comment

Don't blindly copy marketing speak

Ok, nice article, but come on, did you really need to copy all the marketing speak? I'm sorry, but I can't take things like 1000Hz Ultra-polling, Hyperesponse buttons, ultra-large non-slip buttons serious. Zero-acoustic Ultraslick Teflon feet? Really? Gold-plated USB connector? For a digital signal? Are you kidding? And even 16-bit wide data path, 6400 frames per second, 60-120 inches per second, while probably true, just sound like they want to convince the easily impressed. Copying that directly from the product page just doesn't seem very professional. I think you should stick to giving your personal impression, only remarking on the things you observe ("the feet really seem much slicker than ordinary mice") or when you know the technical detail is important (like 4000DPI versus 1800DPI).

Comment

I've got the little Razor Orochi Bluetooth mouse. It also works fine under Linux, both in Bluetooth and cable mode. Just in case anyone was wondering about it.

It has a quirk however: If you use it via Bluetooth and then plug the cable in, it works fine. If you unplug the cable, it doesn't work via Bluetooth until you restart the computer. It connects, but no pointer motion. Not really a big issue though.

Comment

My god, I can't believe you like using this mouse on Linux.

I bought the 3500dpi, 1000hz Razer Deathadder. The speed is RIDICULOUSLY fast, and no amount of Xorg.conf tweaking seems to fix this. I can turn down the speed within Gnome, but it's still terribly sensitive.

This works really well in games (I can finally use the railgun in Quake Live) but for ordinary desktop use it's a pain. The Nextgen Razer Configuration tool simply doesn't work with my mouse - won't recognise it. So I can't turn down the resolution or polling rate or whatever to decrease the sensitivity.

I ended off buying one of the Razer mouse mats that advertises that it gives extra control; this makes the mouse JUST usable.

Also, I bought the mouse to get two extra buttons (on the side). But my previous mouse had a left-right action on the scroll-wheel, which the Razer doesn't have. So I lost two logical, useful buttons in order to gain two that are only useful in games.

Nice mouse on Windows, but terribly disappointing on Linux. I'll continue buying Razer keyboards and mousemats because these have been really good, but I'll never buy another mouse from them.

Comment

my fav mouse of all time was purchased in 2005. it was a while optical mouse with 2 buttons and a wheel. It worked flawlessly and to this day i still prefer it over my ocz mouse. If i remember correctly it ran me about $13.

Sometimes you just need to bring it back to the basics.

Comment

I find Phoronix's love interest with Razer to be somewhat like a woman in an abusive relationship who just keeps going back for more.

Comment

I own a Death Adder and it's been a good mouse. thx.

Comment

Working...
                    X