Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WINE vs. Windows benchmarks

Hi,

I'd like to see some benchmarks of recent WINE against Windows. Windows XP would probably be the most reasonable given that it's WINE's default target.

I'm considering buying a GeForce 9600 GT to play GTA4 on, but I don't want a Windows machine, so if WINE causes a 50% hit I will just buy a PS3.

Besides, it would be interesting to see how WINE compares to Windows these days.

Buy a PS3, you need a really fast pc and good gfx card to play that game even with Win.

Comment

gta4 is a garbage port to pc already. Dont waste your time.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

GTA IV doesn't even work on wine.

Open Source Software for running Windows applications on other operating systems.

so if you don't mind having to aim with a gamepad, go for the console.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
            GTA IV doesn't even work on wine.
            According to a lot of posts I've read on gaming forums, GTA4 doesn't even work on Windows .

Comment

Well you need a Windows Live account to save (a local one would be enough) and for online games you need a second account. That's really annoying... With a high performance system with 1024 mb vram the gfx can look better than on consoles - it is even one of those games which can use more than 2 cores. It is certainly NOT meant to be played with a cheap gfx card and a lowend cpu

Comment

It'll play on a 9600gt but why. Get a 5670 or 240. You might still have to turn stuff off but who cares really. Play the game not the game of trying to max out the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  It is certainly NOT meant to be played with a cheap gfx card and a lowend cpu
                  Yeah, I actually have a copy that came as part of a package deal on Steam, but even if it does run I don't think it's going to run well on my Pentium-4 Windows machine. I'll try it out when I eventually buy another gaming PC.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                    gta4 is a garbage port to pc already. Dont waste your time.
                    Im going to go out on a limb and just assume your computer is junk.

GTA4 is a fantastic port. Just because they didnt go the lazy route of making it look like shit to play on more hardware like most other crappy ports dont make it bad. If anything i am sick of these ports that come across looking no better than the 360 or ps3 versions.

For once a game was ported and was done so in a way to actually leverage the power a PC can put out. Just look at side by side screenshots its like a whole new game on PC when compared to the consoles.

It will however play just fine on a 9600GT in windows, GTA4 is far more reliant on the CPU anyway.

It really does get old to have the ignorant half ass gamers complain when a game comes out and cant be maxxed out with their 3 year old machines. Just because your turd of a machine cant play it dont make the game bad or a bad port...

Comment

Working...
                    X