No announcement yet.

Open-Source ATI R600/700 Mesa 3D Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No twitch FPS gamer will ever limit his/her framerate, unless he.she is a total idiot.
    There, fixed that for ya.

Personally, I find tearing extremely distractive. My solution to the issue you describe? Fire up my trusty CRT which does 1024x768@120Hz, modify the game to process at 120fps (if it offers such an option) and enable vsync. Same result, only without visual artifacts from viewing two frames on screen at the same time.

Yes, that would put me in a disadvantage in Q3 but I never liked that game, so...

@yotambien: am I the only one who prefers old-school stop-motion animation? Your video is actually pretty impressive, but somehow I find the jerky animation of stop-motion adds to the tenseness of the scene. Or maybe I've seen too many horror films from the '60s, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      @yotambien: am I the only one who prefers old-school stop-motion animation? Your video is actually pretty impressive, but somehow I find the jerky animation of stop-motion adds to the tenseness of the scene. Or maybe I've seen too many horror films from the '60s, I don't know.
      I'm all for old school. You may be right, the fights in "Jason and the Argonauts" would feel quite different if it weren't because of the stop-motion scenes. In a way, it helps to convey the horror those monsters are supposed to cause. Modern CGI effects are impressive, but since they try so hard to imitate reality I can't help but see the fake. Like a plastic table. It's made of plastic, it is cheap, but you know it, and it can even have style. On the other hand, take a plastic table that tries to imitate wood. You see it's a fake, you know it's a fake and you feel--quite rightly--ripped off.

The same with cartoons from the 30s and so, they wipe the floor with a lot of modern stuff--there are loads of masterpieces like this one in youtube. Having said this, it probably has to do with the nostalgia filter, according to tvtropes (by the way, that site is killing, thanks for showing me the light).

Comment

little question

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Open-Source ATI R600/700 Mesa 3D Performance

As we alluded to last week, we have been in the process of benchmarking many Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 series graphics cards using the open-source ATI Linux graphics stack with the Mesa R600/700 DRI driver. We have now carried out our first batch of R600/700 3D tests using this constantly evolving open-source driver to provide OpenGL acceleration and here are the results.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=14575
        does this also include the ATI Radeon Stealth 9250

Comment

/facepalm

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          No gamer will ever limit his/her framerate, unless he.she is a total idiot. There is a reason people that have kickass gamer PC's put the resolution on 800x600, turn off the props and turn of vsync... Not only to get more FPS, but also see the dirrences faster (keeping track of 800x600 pixels versus changes in full HD).
          Nope. The monitor itself is physically incapable of displaying faster than 60 FPS. If you have a monitor with a higher refresh rate, the sync-to-vblank will scale up to it, of course.

Do you know how many people complained about Doom 3 telling it has over 60fps but doesn't display over 60fps?
          Almost all games do that, not just Doom3. Doom3 likely had other issues resulting in its jitteriness (I never played it, because I like games that are fun, personally). You probably didn't know that, which is not surprising, because very few people other than experienced game devs actually understand how game physics work. That's fine. It would take a rather long time to explain why games use a fixed simulation increment, but if you're interested in learning about it, you can Google on continuous vs integrated physics simulation algorithms. Suffice to say, you have to keep physics at a fixed time increment or the simulation starts to do very crazy things when the frame rate varies often in complex scenes.

And as to why vsync is for idiots who do not know what they are talking about: you get more up to date screen information when you write to the framebuffer during the rendering fase...
          This would be true if games today didn't use deferred rendering... but they do, because that's the only way to get the graphics detail you see in modern engines. Besides that, given again that the monitor literally can't show the frame any faster, rendering to the frame buffer doesn't actually show you anything sooner. It might show some portion of the screen sooner, but the whole picture won't be available until the next vsync anyway.

Scirpting this, cinematic that. Most often the Extreme Difficulty is about normal difficulty found in older games.
          Sounds like you're playing the wrong games. But then, it also sounds like you don't consider anything other than Quake and it's infinite number of clones and spin-offs to be a game. Good for you, I guess.

Commercial titles these days are for 99,99 procent of the offering; Total garbage.
          The small penis remark got your goat, didn't it? Sorry for your troubles, dude.

Comment

Most of the "mainstream" offerings today are thrash, though. Most games are over glorified tech demos. Gameplay and story elements have moved to the rear and instead we got eye candy and cheap game mechanics. Games just aren't what they used to be. Oh well, it will eventually fix itself. Maybe after the game market crashes, or indies start getting more exposure.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
              Most of the "mainstream" offerings today are thrash, though. Most games are over glorified tech demos. Gameplay and story elements have moved to the rear and instead we got eye candy and cheap game mechanics. Games just aren't what they used to be. Oh well, it will eventually fix itself. Maybe after the game market crashes, or indies start getting more exposure.
              Yeah, "mainstream" offerings nowadays suck compared to older offerings. Nope, not really, there are great games out there, you just need to know where to look.

Unless you are a hardcore Sierra fun, which means you are more or less out luck. (Thank god, I don't think I could stand another shitty adventure game! )

Comment

What was wrong with TMNT? That game was hardcore and much more difficult than most of the stuff out today. Sierra adventure games? I wish they were still around; some of the best adventure games are still old Sierra titles. Man, how I wish for a good Adventure game.

Comment

<offtopic>
                  Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                  Man, how I wish for a good Adventure game.
                  The Whispered World.

Currently only available in german, but if the english translation is any good, go buy it next monday.

(not for linux and wine doesn't work, either, but it's a good game)
                  </offtopic>

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                    <offtopic>
                    (not for linux and wine doesn't work, either, but it's a good game)
                    </offtopic>
                    Good or not what to do it if it's useless under Linux;

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                      It can not. You still have to render two frames so you can overlap them, which is true motion blur
                      Real life blur is the sum of an infinite number of images with infinitesimally small time steps. In other words: an integral over time.
                      But integration can be made sufficiently precise with for instance Runge Kutta methods or splines or many other techniques. Also extrapolation is possible. It should be possible to extrapolate 1/60th of a second.

Also I find it hard to believe that gamers have such enormously fast responses that a lag of 1/120th or even 1/60th of a second makes a difference. Gaming relies on normal cognitive reaction times which are not faster than about 0.1 seconds for visual input. Wikipedia says the average minimum is 0.180 seconds. Some gamers may be pretty fast, maybe twice as fast, or four times as fast (0.045). But I find it really hard to believe that there are gamers who can respond to a visual stimulus reproducably within the refresh time of a normal monitor (0.017s). See http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/...time/stats.php

So I fail to see why a maximum lag of 1/60th of a second, and even that can be partially mediated by extrapolation techniques, matters.

But no, I don't know much about temporal antialiasing. I do know about math and physics.

Comment

Working...
                      X