Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    What does "very slow" mean?

Your 3d acceleration seems to be working fine. It's possible that the game is using a feature which is not accelerated yet, and thus hitting the software rendering.

Do the penumbra games use GLSL? OpenGL2 features? You only have OpenGL 1.5 at the moment, so upgrading to Mesa 7.8 might help.

Also keep in mind that the open drivers are slower than the binary Catalyst at this time, often considerably slower.
    First of all, thanks for the reply.

By so slow I meant that interactivity was not possible, I turned the view of the character and seconds later the character performed the action. In addition to that, the textures didn't display correctly, sometimes there was some kind of changing colors on them, maybe I'll try to reinstall the game. I am going to ask in the Frictional Games Penumbra forums about the GLSL, OpenGL requirements of Penumbra.

I just updated to mesa 7.7.10 which updated also libdrm... I'll let you know the results.

Comment

AFAIK classic r300 driver doesn't (and won't) support OpenGL 2.x and GLSL. You need Gallium driver for that. It's harder to install (you need to compile it from sources) and is less mature than classic dri driver.

Comment

Just one more thing related to my problem,

I was giving a look to my Xorg.0.log file and found the following line:

Code:
        II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
        (II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
        (II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE

[B](II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable[/B]

drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
        drmOpenDevice: open result is 11, (OK)
        drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:00.0
        drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
        drmOpenDevice: open result is 11, (OK)
        Maybe this can be a clue to find the reason of low 3D performance on the Penumbra game.

thanks in advance for any hint given.

Comment

I believe that message just tells you that you are not running on a DRI2-capable system, ie you are not running with KMS.

Did you hear anything back about whether Penumbra required GLSL ?

EDIT - never mind, I found your thread on the FG forums

Looks like Penumbra relies on NVidia's CG to produce shader code for ATI GPUs. Might be a problem or not, hard to say. Urkle mentioned a log file, have you looked through that ? Maybe post it here...
          Test signature

Comment

A couple of other threads on that forum also mentioned turning off Post Effects. Probably won't be enough on its own but might help.
            Test signature

Comment

update

A little update on this problem, I just upgraded to kernel 2.6.34 and While using the Radeon driver and Mesa 7.8.1 from the openSUSE xorg repos, this problem was solved at least for Penumbra Overture, fluid gameplay is back. I haven't tested yet on the other 2 games of the Penumbra series, as soon as I have newer results I'let you know.

cheers

jaom7

Comment

Working...
              X