Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM's Clang Now Can Build Itself

Phoronix: LLVM's Clang Now Can Build Itself

The Clang compiler that provides a C/Object-C/C++ compiler atop the Low-Level Virtual Machine (LLVM) is now self-hosting, which means Clang can now be used to compile itself. The LLVM developers reached this important milestone where LLVM/Clang can now be used to build Clang with working resulting binaries that can even go on to build another copy of Clang as well. The short announcement of this compiler achievement for LLVM/Clang can be read on the LLVM blog...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It was able to "build itself" previously in the sense of completing a compile, but it wasn't self-hosting because the C++ support was still too broken for the built compiler to work properly. It's pretty amazing to see how far Clang's C++ support has come.

Comment

"Machines making more machines... now that's just plain dumb"
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        "Machines making more machines... now that's just plain dumb"
        I guess that means that LLVM is completed now? Or at least reached the point of fully working reliably for now?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          I guess that means that LLVM is completed now?
          let's see.. gcc has been able to build itself for decades. Is it complete yet?

LLVM has reached an important milestone, but there's still source code out there it doesn't compile, there's still optimizations to make, features to add etc.

Comment

No C++ compiler will *ever* be complete

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              No C++ compiler will *ever* be complete
              Wait 'til I finish writing my perfect compiler-compiler.

Comment

Wow, this is a great step forward. Looks like it's time to do some tests with Clang again, hopefully optimizations like LTO (link time optimization) are not exclusive to the OSX platform anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
                  hopefully optimizations like LTO (link time optimization) are not exclusive to the OSX platform anymore.
                  Hm?

Comment

I think he is speaking about clang, not gcc.

Comment

Working...
                    X