A Day Later, Hybrid Graphics On Linux Does More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmartinez View Post
    I downloaded the "0001-vga_switcheroo-initial-implementation-v4.patch"... But I don't know how to use it.
    get the sources from git, type 'man patch' to read how to apply the patch to the sources, then compile and install.

If you have no idea what I just wrote, then leave it at that before you trash your system

Originally posted by laurencevde View Post
    Killing X can be worked around with x2go or Nx. I don't know how performance'll be though.
    probably no better than sticking to the integrated GPU in the first place.

If both GPUs differ in capabilities (ogl extensions etc), apps need to be restarted anyway since there's no good way to tell an app to stop using an extension while it's running.

Can Windows switch GPUs while 3rd-party 3D apps are running? I'd be surprised if that worked.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
      Can Windows switch GPUs while 3rd-party 3D apps are running? I'd be surprised if that worked.
      The old NeXT cubes could do some impressive multi-"GPU" stuff, like having a window spanning two monitors, where one monitor was run by a plain black-and-white graphics board, and the other was the truecolor board with 2D acceleration and video I/O. The color half of the window was full true color, while the black-and-white half looked like it was designed for black-and-white, not just dithered down.

So, if anybody pulls off 3D switching on-the-fly, I would expect it to be Apple.

Comment

Working...
      X