No announcement yet.

No-backfill still needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the bug and at the end of the comments Alf Gaida links to his PPA with a patched xserver-xorg-core that seems to do the tricks.

Still, it's pretty annoying having to do this just to not get a 1 second freeze every time I maximize or unmaximize a window.

Comment

Originally posted by ungoliant View Post
      It is still needed unless you enable this new 2D acceleration method. It's called 'Direct2D'
      1. Kill the x server
      2. Open /etc/ati/amdpcsdb, and under the section [AMDPCSROOT/SYSTEM/DDX]
      add:
      Direct2DAccel=STRUE
      3. Reboot (just in case)

It's still on testing, but its getting pretty stable, at least for me.
      Thanks for the tip! That did the trick for me!

Comment

Originally posted by latebeat View Post
        why are u saying that? I have exactly the same issue with maximizing/minimizing windows in compiz
        @all: Bridgman was right. The no-backfill-patch was the first try to solve the described ATI (better xserver) Problems. You can read about it at the begin of comments in launchpad bug #351186. Later came the no-backclear-patch without the glitches described at launchpad. I apply it yesterday to the lucid xserver-1.7.6...ntu7. But you can also search at Arch AUR or at Fedora. In this time i run a 10.4 with a 2.6.33 i686 Kernel with a x 1.8.0.1 on Arch without problems.

Comment

Originally posted by albatorsk View Post
          Still, it's pretty annoying having to do this just to not get a 1 second freeze every time I maximize or unmaximize a window.
          Do you think it's funny for me doing this work for 9.10 and 10.04? Maybe after the planned patchday on May 15-16 within Ubuntu we get it in the upstream and the people at X.org react. I think it should be standard. I have tested the patched Xserver with Intel G43 and Nvidia 7300GT and 7600GTS without problems. More tests follow, but not by me because the lack of Hardware .

BTW, it isn't ATIs fault, but the first thing i do in any new distro i try, i had to look for an patched xserver or patch it by myself. I think, it is the time X.org has to move.

Comment

Originally posted by agaida View Post
            @all: Bridgman was right. The no-backfill-patch was the first try to solve the described ATI (better xserver) Problems. You can read about it at the begin of comments in launchpad bug #351186. Later came the no-backclear-patch without the glitches described at launchpad. I apply it yesterday to the lucid xserver-1.7.6...ntu7. But you can also search at Arch AUR or at Fedora. In this time i run a 10.4 with a 2.6.33 i686 Kernel with a x 1.8.0.1 on Arch without problems.
            Well can you point out any links on how to download and apply the patch that you're saying? What's the benefit over the no-backfill patched xserver since minimize/maximize seems to be working fine now?

Also can you or someone tell me how to go back to the normal xserver after using a ppa to get the no-backfill patched one?

Comment

The advantage of the backclear patch over the no-backfill one is that backclear replaces the occasional patches of garbage (uninitialized memory) with patches of black, addressing the security concerns (chance of seeing screen data from a previous session or user) which prompted removal of the no-backfill patch in the first place.

If the no-backfill patch is working for you then there's probably no compelling reason to change.
              Test signature

Comment

Well can you point out any links ...
                To avoid this bug in karmic use the https://launchpad.net/~k0ekk0ek/+archive/ppa, in lucid you can use https://launchpad.net/~info-g-com/+a...-xorg-1.7.6-gc

As bridgman wrote, at the moment is no reason to change back. I'll keep the package in sync with the latest servers until its finally fixed... Hoping soon. For more information you should read lp #351186 and its successor.

Comment

Originally posted by agaida View Post
                  To avoid this bug in karmic use the https://launchpad.net/~k0ekk0ek/+archive/ppa, in lucid you can use https://launchpad.net/~info-g-com/+a...-xorg-1.7.6-gc

As bridgman wrote, at the moment is no reason to change back. I'll keep the package in sync with the latest servers until its finally fixed... Hoping soon. For more information you should read lp #351186 and its successor.
                  Thanks, I'm using ur patch from the ppa already. For me it works fine, my only complaint is some minor artifacts that appear briefly during some compiz animations. For example some weird dots near the top of the window when it's maximized. Everything is fine other than that.

Comment

Thanks, I'm using ur patch from the ppa already. For me it works fine, my only complaint is some minor artifacts that appear briefly during some compiz animations. For example some weird dots near the top of the window when it's maximized. Everything is fine other than that.
                    I know. I think its because near the top there are two Sections, first the window title, then the section with the menus. Probably you see the normaly not visible border between these sections in Actions like miniizing, maximizing or wobble. No clue about it. To verify that, you might use another scheme for testing purposes.

Comment

Have take a second look at this. It look like rounding errors ins Compiz and occurs also when not animated

Comment

Working...
                      X