Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 1 Released

Phoronix: openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 1 Released

While Red Hat is busy at work on Fedora 13 and Canonical is busy working on their Long-Term Support release of Ubuntu 10.04, Novell is working on openSUSE 11.3. This next upgrade to openSUSE is due out in mid-July, but the first milestone release is now available.Milestone 1 of openSUSE 11.3 pulls in the latest GNOME 2.30 development packages and the release candidate of KDE 4.4 Software Compilation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

openSUSE releases are so unexciting. Nothing else happens besides package updates and a bunch of Yast bug-fixes ??

Comment

Being a KDE 4 guy I want to like OpenSuse, I really do. I just can't stand Yast and yes I tried 11.2. It is just far too bloated and difficult. Too much "crap" all over the GUI package manager for example; hugely overcomplicated. I'm not a great fan of zypper either though I admit it's pretty feature-full

Comment

Originally posted by Hoodlum View Post
        Being a KDE 4 guy I want to like OpenSuse, I really do. I just can't stand Yast and yes I tried 11.2. It is just far too bloated and difficult. Too much "crap" all over the GUI package manager for example; hugely overcomplicated. I'm not a great fan of zypper either though I admit it's pretty feature-full
        I completely agree with everything you said.

Comment

i agree too.I dont like ubuntu for the popularity but it is as simple as sudo apt-get install ... Fedora is to "vanilla" in the look and feel way and Mint is too feature full.OpenSUSE is just eyecandy and updated packages, but in terms of use..

Comment

Originally posted by Hoodlum View Post
            Being a KDE 4 guy I want to like OpenSuse, I really do. I just can't stand Yast and yes I tried 11.2. It is just far too bloated and difficult. Too much "crap" all over the GUI package manager for example; hugely overcomplicated.
            Then install KPackageKit. It's not like anybody is forced to use YaST...

Originally posted by lolren View Post
            i agree too.I dont like ubuntu for the popularity but it is as simple as sudo apt-get install
            So "sudo apt-get install" is OK, but SUSE's "sudo zypper install" is not? WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by Peterson Spaceport View Post
              openSUSE releases are so unexciting. Nothing else happens besides package updates and a bunch of Yast bug-fixes ??
              What would you consider "exciting"?

Comment

Good news. I like OpenSuSE for their stable KDE platform (kubuntu really sucks) and their build service (OBS). Yast is something you have to get used to (is very powerful after that to setup about everything), and zypper install packagename always works.

Comment

Working...
                X