EXT4 Lets Us Down, There Goes Our R600/700 Mesa Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    Next time store test results remotely, eg. on NFS. That way a software or hardware failure on the test box will not cause loss of the test data.
    Or will just build the mentioned support into Phoromatic, much cleaner, easier, and more efficient that way.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

This is why I use Ext3 for /home and Ext4 for /

I don't need the extra speed when accessing my documents, but I need reliability. Likewise, I can take a hit on reliability, for a faster boot time.

Don't trust Ext4.

Comment

If you haven't yet overwritten the fs, you might want to take a look at these:
        extundelete is an open source utility to undelete files from an ext3 or ext4 partition.

Unlike what many people think, it *is* possible to recover deleted and thought-lost files on ext2/3/4 filesystems.

Loosing data sucks. The other day I blew up a HDD due to a badly-designed cable that switched 5V with 12V, and more recently due to a crash and corruption in zfs-fuse. And, as I have learned, the great ZFS (TM) unlike other fs's, doesn't have *any* real option to try and recover files, because it is so great (TM) that problems just doesn't happen (or you should have used raid, because every normal user should run all of his systems on raid). But I digress...

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
          If you haven't yet overwritten the fs, you might want to take a look at these
          And one more link from my ext recovery bookmark archive:
          It this post Geek.com offers a walkthrough of the building of a powerful, yet affordable workstation. Each of the parts was carefully chosen and the build was extensively detailed. There were some problems, but those were worked around and the end result was an impressive 64-bit workhorse. Link: geek.com Category: Hardware

Couldn't edit my previous post: the limit for editing is now 1 minute? Geez.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
            Couldn't edit my previous post: the limit for editing is now 1 minute? Geez.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The cat ate my homework, heh. Blame ext4, that's the ticket.

Comment

Sad to hear all that work is gone. Well, at least you can file a bug report.

But: there is an ooold rule.

Backups.

Do them on physically separate data carriers.

I learned that about 8 years ago during a HW failure. And I was happy that I had at least 50% of my data off that drive. I was in a backup process when it fubared

And: Don't use unfinished file systems. I keep away from any of the new ones, may they have performace better, I do not care. Data safety is much more important. One can use them when they're ready.
                I just find it hilarious the see the many bugs and problems ext4 causes while it was announced to be the greatest since readily cut bread. Wasn't it iirc some of the devs of etx4 that were agains the ?ber-Filesystem reiser4 to go into kernel? And that's some years ago.

Anyway.
                Hope you'll find the time to redo the benchmarks.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

That's a pity!
                  One question: you're blaming ext4. How do you know it is not caused by some other unrelated bug?

Comment

that is what you get trusting extX devs declaring their stuff 'stable'.

ext4 should rot in the staging section of the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                      Sad to hear all that work is gone. Well, at least you can file a bug report.

But: there is an ooold rule.

Backups.

Do them on physically separate data carriers.

I learned that about 8 years ago during a HW failure. And I was happy that I had at least 50% of my data off that drive. I was in a backup process when it fubared

And: Don't use unfinished file systems. I keep away from any of the new ones, may they have performace better, I do not care. Data safety is much more important. One can use them when they're ready.
                      I just find it hilarious the see the many bugs and problems ext4 causes while it was announced to be the greatest since readily cut bread. Wasn't it iirc some of the devs of etx4 that were agains the ?ber-Filesystem reiser4 to go into kernel? And that's some years ago.

Anyway.
                      Hope you'll find the time to redo the benchmarks.

not only that - all that people who attacked and blocked reiser4 because of 'layer violations' don't have problems with btrfs that does the same but much, much worse.

Comment

Working...
                      X