No announcement yet.

KDE SC 4.4 Gets Its Final Release Candidate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is playing HTML5 theora videos supported? I tried it with Ubuntu Lucid, but while it works with Firefox it still doesn't work with Konqueror. I thought it should have supported starting from 4.4.

Comment

Originally posted by krazy View Post
      Qt 4.6.1 is out and fixes those bugs.
      Yeah it does, which is why they delayed the final release. All I'm saying is that's a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
        Is playing HTML5 theora videos supported? I tried it with Ubuntu Lucid, but while it works with Firefox it still doesn't work with Konqueror. I thought it should have supported starting from 4.4.
        I'm on 4.4 RC3 with Qt 4.6.1 and HTML5 videos seem to work, although very buggy (especially the playback controls.) However, most sites won't allow you to watch them; they don't have Konqueror in their "allow" list and you get a message that says to download a compatible browser :P

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
          Works for me as well, but buggy as RealNC already mentioned. If you want a site that does no checks on useragent-string or similiar, I just a few days ago uploaded a Ogg-Video to my site just for fun: http://www.zhick.de/index.php?q=node/3 (yaya shameless-self-plug :P there's absolutely zero content on it anyway).
          But even thought it's still buggy, there's one beautiful thing about Konqueror video-tag implementation: They use Phonon, which in turn can use both gstreamer and xine, which can both be build/configured to support h264. So Konqueror is probably the first FOSS-browser with support for h264 (Chrome doesn't count as h264-support is only included in the closed-source version). Unfortunately it doesn't work on youtube yet, but that might be due to useragent-string checking or stuff like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
            But even thought it's still buggy, there's one beautiful thing about Konqueror video-tag implementation: They use Phonon, which in turn can use both gstreamer and xine, which can both be build/configured to support h264.
            I think you've just made my day

Comment

So Konqueror is probably the first FOSS-browser with support for h264 (Chrome doesn't count as h264-support is only included in the closed-source version).

The open source Chromium can playback HTML5 H264 video for quite some time now.

Chromium is an open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster,
              and more stable way for all Internet users to experience the web.

This package contains the multi-threaded ffmpeg codecs needed for the HTML5
              <audio> and <video> tags. In addition to the free ogg, vorbis and theora codecs,
              aac/ac3/mpeg4audio/h264/mov/mp3 are also included.
              See chromium-codecs-ffmpeg if you prefer only the free codecs

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                I think you've just made my day
                Good to hear.

@moonraf: Didn't know about that... the last time I tried it certainly didn't. I just tried again now and it indeed seems to support it (not on youtube though...), but only to the extend of all HTML5-video in chromium: It's horribly broken for me. Playback always starts at 00:50, is very jerky and seeking doesn't work. That's with 4.0.266.0.
                Also youtube doesn't seem to know about this yet as well: When I try to view a html5-video on the youtube-beta with chromium I get
                Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available.
                Click here to visit our frequently asked questions about HTML5 video.

Comment

Although I still use Firefox as my main browser, Chromium works fine with YouTube here, just tested it again. In fact, even with all cookies cleared YouTube now gives me the HTML5 player by default.

btw. Your version is really old I'm already on 5.0.312.0 (37680) Ubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                    btw. Your version is really old I'm already on 5.0.312.0 (37680) Ubuntu
                    5 already!? Those google-guys surely are quick at bumping up major-version-numbers. Maybe somebody should tell them that they could just increase the second digit instead of just leaving that one at 0 forever?
                    I think my problems with chromiums html5-video implementation might also be caused by gentoos portage building it against the system-ffmpeg and not the included one.

Comment

Works for me as well, but buggy as RealNC already mentioned. If you want a site that does no checks on useragent-string or similiar, I just a few days ago uploaded a Ogg-Video to my site just for fun: http://www.zhick.de/index.php?q=node/3 (yaya shameless-self-plug :P there's absolutely zero content on it anyway).
                      But even thought it's still buggy, there's one beautiful thing about Konqueror video-tag implementation: They use Phonon, which in turn can use both gstreamer and xine, which can both be build/configured to support h264. So Konqueror is probably the first FOSS-browser with support for h264 (Chrome doesn't count as h264-support is only included in the closed-source version). Unfortunately it doesn't work on youtube yet, but that might be due to useragent-string checking or stuff like that.
                      Nice, the Big Buck Bunny video works fine.

Unfortunately seeking doesn't work. Also Wikipedia Videos don't play.

Comment

Working...
                      X