Reasoning for closed source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gizmot View Post
    (with also a much lower cost for drivers developpement...)
    Is it really though that much cheaper? If I have to sacrifice 5% performance which would result in potentially millions in dollars of revenue would I take the risk?

Comment

At the same time, you know that there is a bunch of very talented FOSS guys bashing their head on how to reverse engineer some hardware.
      They don?t need to reverse engineer the driver because AMD give the specs to the Devs and if something undocumented you can ask the AMD ppl.

So then, in God's name, dont they just open their close source drivers, pay some developpers (and get a crap load of free work from FOSS developpers) and developp a generic multiplatform driver that would be easy to port on easy platform?
      Some of the "radeon" driver devs are employed by AMD an some by Redhad an AMD partner.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Well lets put it this way, I design boats as well as my computing life, manufacturing wise that is simple as it takes typically less then 4 hours to assemble a boat but to gain that extra 5 mph out of the hull it took 18 months of analysis, design and simulations to find that "sweet spot spec" that allowed that performance difference. Assembly wise it made no difference. I guess it all depends on the product being designed. Ask any farmer as well about what they would do about their combine if they had a chance to talk to the engineer.
        well, your exemple assume heavy R&D using actual production tooling. Could be wrong, but I was assuming that hardware was split in R&D between elementary science, new product engineering and manufacturing technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
          They don?t need to reverse engineer the driver because AMD give the specs to the Devs and if something undocumented you can ask the AMD ppl.
          Well again that is not entirely true, yes AMD has released specs to a majority of their IP but there is still a fair amount that will remain shut out due to licensing and the likes. UVD just as an example.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post

Some of the "radeon" driver devs are employed by AMD an some by Redhad an AMD partner.
            are you saying that AMD finally released *ALL* the technical specs needed to create a ''perfect'' and ''complete'' driver for every card?

Comment

well, your exemple assume heavy R&D using actual production tooling. Could be wrong, but I was assuming that hardware was split in R&D between elementary science, new product engineering and manufacturing technology.
              Actually all the boats are assembled with about $300 worth of hand tools found at your local Home Depot. Assembly was never really a concern.

Comment

small changed of subject... what about BIOS? thats old tech. Hardly anything of value

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Actually all the boats are assembled with about $300 worth of hand tools found at your local Home Depot. Assembly was never really a concern.
                  Oh, I tought you were talking about Cup of America style of boats. Because I do work as ''metrology'' engineer, and in every industry I have seen, about as much time is spent on ''how to build the dam thing'' than on the actual conception. if not more

Comment

Oh, I tought you were talking about Cup of America style of boats. Because I do work as ''metrology'' engineer, and in every industry I have seen, about as much time is spent on ''how to build the dam thing'' than on the actual conception. if not more

The boats I designed were actually "extensions" to personal water craft (seadoos as referred by some). Take a formula 1 boat or a deep V but use a PWC as a powerplant and you get the idea of the mass number of options available. Mounting brackets cost to produce about $20 to make and was installed with a rachet and a wrench but the R&D that went towards the proper mounting height, alignment, etc far exceeded the materials, mold and manpower it took to produce those.

Comment

are you saying that AMD finally released *ALL* the technical specs needed to create a ''perfect'' and ''complete'' driver for every card?
                      I cant promise this (Im not an dev) but in the past someone says that all needed Informations are out.

Comment

Working...
                      X