No announcement yet.

Fan Speed Control HD 4870?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just saying that a *lot* of work went into the fglrx power management, and that even matching that with the open source drivers is going to take an equal amount of work, it's not something they can just "keep".

If the radeon man page doesn't mention the power saving options, then either your radeon driver is too old (the options were added in April 2009) or your man page has somehow become out of sync with the driver. Can you check the version/age of your radeon driver ?
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      You need xf86-video-ati from git master for the power management options. 6.12.x doesn't have them.
      Thanks. That man page does include the options.

Can't build the driver though:

./autogen.sh
      autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
      autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
      autoreconf: running: aclocal
      autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
      autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
      autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf
      configure.ac:46: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DISABLE_STATIC
      If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
      See the Autoconf documentation.
      configure.ac:47: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
      autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

Comment

Do you have the libtool package ? That's what seems to contain those macros...
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Do you have the libtool package ? That's what seems to contain those macros...
          Yup, libtool was needed.

But now `configure` blows up:

./configure: line 11942: syntax error near unexpected token `XINERAMA,'
          ./configure: line 11942: `XORG_DRIVER_CHECK_EXT(XINERAMA, xineramaproto)'

syntax error? C'mon guys how can this code even be checked in?

Comment

I'm guessing you haven't built a video driver on that system before ?

Not sure, but I think the syntax error there means you're missing the xorg-dev package (header files etc..).
            Test signature

Comment

I'm guessing you haven't built a video driver on that system before ?

Not sure, but I think the syntax error there means you're missing the xorg-dev package (header files etc..).
              Correct. Once I installed the missing packages it built cleanly. Now to see how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by nbi1 View Post
                Correct. Once I installed the missing packages it built cleanly. Now to see how it works.
                It doesn't because this Radeon driver expects X server 1.7.4 not the 1.6.5 currently being used. Argh.

Comment

As a *minimum* you'd like to see the same behaviour as fglrx ? Geez, you don't want much

User modesetting is fine. Do you have Option "ForceLowPowerMode" "on" and Option "DynamicPM" "on" ? If not, add them to the device section of your xorg.conf.

Running "man radeon" will give you more info about the options.
                  Now that X has been upgraded and the new driver installed I'm not seeing any improvement with these options.

Comment

There is no xserver version dependency. What you need is a newer xorg macros package.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                      There is no xserver version dependency. What you need is a newer xorg macros package.
                      What exactly is the name of the package you think I'm missing?

I installed a bunch of packages per the dialogue with Bridgman and the driver corresponding to the git master built cleanly and is now installed.
                      But the problems I initially reported still persist.

Are you saying that yet another package is needed to resolve these problems?

Comment

Working...
                      X