No announcement yet.

ATI Radeon HD 5770 is not Linux Compatible Despite Advertisement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In relation with the above post, does anyone know if GT 240 can do this (play WoW on linux) @ 1280 x 1024 with more than 30 fps on busy zones? I've looked around and didn't found any linux tests about this.

Comment

HD5770 works under Linux

I specifically chose an ATI HD5770 card because I hate recompiling the Linux kernel every time I want to use an nVidia card. I stuck the HD5770 in my system and booted to Red Hat Enterprise Linux v 5.5 (64 bit) and it seemed to pick the drivers right up. I didn't have to do anything fancy to get the card to display under Linux.

Now I can't get the 1920 resolution I can under Windows but the HD5770 will go to 1600x 1200 under RH Linux. I don't know about loading the Catalyst toolkit under Linux as I've never even seen Catalyst files for a Linux distro. However I can say that my HD5770 works well under RH Linux. I do have a duel boot system and the HD5770 ALSO works under Windows XP 32 bit.

Originally posted by dartmouth View Post
      I have noticed several threads online, specifically this forum, where Linux users are misleadingly talking about how well their Radeon HD 5770 is working in their linux systems, failing to mention that they're talking about dual boot setups and also failing to mention that the performance they're talking about is on a Microsoft system.

The ATI Radeon HD 5770 Card is not supported by any linux version of catalyst, despite the Catalyst documentation claiming that support for this card was introduced in Catalyst 9.11, and despite it being listed as a supported card in 9.12.

I've been in touch with several reps at ATI/AMD and the response I got was that the linux driver was offered 'as is' and that their support wasn't official. That's actually the only support that was given. Period. "A deal is a deal, sucker!".

By 'not officially supported', I think the rep meant "we are not going to support it at all"-- as indicated by ATI/AMDs true failure to get a working driver for this card going.

I've tested this card's compatibility with almost all mainstream linux distros to find that the catalyst driver versions 9.11 and 9.12 (and the hotfix as well), while claiming to support this card, actually do not support the Radeon HD 5770. If someone is telling you otherwise, they are either lying or poorly communicating that they are using the driver on a Microsoft Operating system.

What I have not tested, is support in the Red Hat Enterprise, OpenSUSE, or Ubuntu distros as the version of catalyst for these distros is a special build tailored to those specific distros (and is designed not to work with other distros). Why, oh why, would AMD promise to fix the proprietary attitude that almost wiped ATI out of the industry (which necessitated their buyout) only to follow up with the exact same kind of customer-alienating behaviour?

So, if you need to use a linux system, and some people do, have a backup card-- this thing is a paperweight until someone at AMD reads this and realizes that people are going to eventually associate their brand name with these kinds of problems if they don't start tailoring to the compatibility needs of their customers.

Comment

Maybe you have got no idea how to use dkms? I install the nvidia driver using the nvidia-installer (without kernel modul) and use dkms for the module. That will compile it always when you install a new kernel.

Comment

(ps: why is it restricted to 1600x1200, instead of supporting the full 1920x1200? I've seen this problem too...)

Comment

1600x1200 is a standard vesa mode, 1920x1200 is not.

Comment

OK, but why is the ATI driver restricted to VESA modes? Other cards support 1920x1200 displays without any hassle.

Comment

At first glance it sounds as if you may not be running the Catalyst driver. Can you check your xorg log ?
                Test signature

Comment

hmm I have no issues here running my 5770 at my monitor's native 1920@1080 resolution..Ut2k4 (linux native),EverQuest(wine fullscreen or windowed)Ungine Heaven 2.1.. using Cat 10.3 to the current 10.6can't speak about earlier Cat's since I didn't have this rig then.
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                  Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

My 5770 works at least partially in 10 distros

I have a 5770 in my system, which currently has Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Windows XP Pro SP3 x32, Fedora 13 x64, Sabayon 5.3 x64, Ubuntu 10.04 x64, and OpenSUSE 11.2 x64 coexisting relatively harmoniously. I have had no real problems in Windows,though the resolution was too small until I installed the drivers. Fedora works at 1920x1080, but it doesn't have 3D acceleration. I've had no problems in Ubuntu or Sabayon, but I haven't tested them in detail. In OpenSUSE, X is working and the display is crystal clear, but unfortunately the resolution is pathetic -- text in terminal is an inch tall. I had Gentoo (4-8-10 build) x64 running briefly, but I didn't build it right, so it didn't work very well ;-). The display worked beautifully, but my choice of packages apparently rendered the install FUBAR.

I have run the GUI installers for Zenwalk v6.4 and Mandriva One, both of which displayed flawlessly. In terms of live CDs, I have run Mandriva One XFCE Live, Parted Magic, DreamLinux Desktop Edition v3.5, and Puppy v4.3.1. Mandriva Live didn't automatically display in widescreen, Parted Magic occasionally didn't automatically display in widescreen, and Puppy displayed with a black border. DreamLinux couldn't start X, and I honestly don't know whether this is due to the card or a bad burn. It could be either.

I have not installed ANY drivers or changed any settings or config files for any of the Linux distros. The results above are what happens by default with the software included in the distro. By my count this is 10 distros, none of which are commercial, for which my 5770 works and one for which it might not. There are problems in most of these cases and I won't be setting any framerate records in Linux, but the fact of the matter is X is working and I can see the desktop. To write programs, this is all I need. The rest could possibly be resolved by trying different drivers and changing settings. If anyone would like more details about any of my setups, I will gladly provide them as long as you'll tell me how to get them (I don't want to have to search for files or commands or wade through man pages). I don't know if something significant has changed since this thread was opened, but I would say my experience is conclusive proof that the 5770 is at least partially compatible with Linux with no real work necessary by the end user.

Comment

Originally posted by karl View Post
                      @elipsey: thank you very much for the infos. I think I will skip ATI and go with an NVidia for now (the only reason I need a discrete video card is to be able to play WoW at more than 30 fps in busy zones).
                      WoW wine performance is acceptable at best. I have a GTX 465 amd I still get 25-30 fps in certain high pop areas, about the same as when I had my 8800gts now that I think about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X