Clear All

No .

Comment

what about TextureVideo?
      also which hz is optimal for a 1080p? actually it shows 60hz

Comment

Hi,

I'm a xbmc user too.
        To be able to play 1080p videos in xbmc, which uses gl video output, i needed to overclock my cpu (E4200 1.8Gh to 2.8 Gh)...
        In xbmc, you can use an external video player. In this case, and if you've got a dualcore, you can use mplayer with multithreads (all info all mplayer website to compil).
        Next solution is to use libva or go to windows...
        And really last one is to buy a nvidia card.

++

Bibi

Comment

Originally posted by bibi View Post
          Hi,

I'm a xbmc user too.
          To be able to play 1080p videos in xbmc, which uses gl video output, i needed to overclock my cpu (E4200 1.8Gh to 2.8 Gh)...
          In xbmc, you can use an external video player. In this case, and if you've got a dualcore, you can use mplayer with multithreads (all info all mplayer website to compil).

++

Bibi
          You forgot quad core which works way better than dual core for video decoding. At least according to my experience. Mush better solution than Windows or buying a nvidia card.

The only thing missing is better (more stable) mplayer support.

Open source driver paired with an AMD graphics card for tear free video (and all the other benefits of open source) and then lots of CPU cores for video decoding. That's all it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by bibi View Post
            XBMC does not use DXVA2 on Windows yet but in current SVN. Once XBMC adds VA-API support, the best performing video decoding solution + rendering to OpenGL is indeed AMD. NVIDIA will lead again within the next few weeks/months with some improvements to VDPAU.

However, if you want to use XBMC right now (today) with low CPU power, get a cheap NVIDIA card. There are fanless G210 around.

Comment

Originally posted by bolzerrr View Post
              what about TextureVideo?
              also which hz is optimal for a 1080p? actually it shows 60hz
              TexturedVideo was an option in the past that was used to get acceptable Xv with compositing desktops (compiz and the like). This plays OK today so that option (and also VideoOverlay) is not important. But you shouldn't be using Xv with fglrx in the first place (it has tearing and also wrong colors if you're watching on your monitor rather than a TV.) It's best to use GL for videos.

As for the refresh rate, it depends on the source material. "24p" studio movies (24FPS) would look best in refresh rates that are an even multiple of 24 (like 48Hz, 72Hz, 96Hz, etc.) For 25FPS PAL videos that would be 50Hz, 75Hz, 100Hz, etc. For NTSC (almost)30FPS video it's 60Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz, etc.

Whether or not the media player will deal correctly with 24p video when you have a "matching" refresh rate, I've no idea :P

Comment

To put a little perspective into the framerate questions;

The REASON why NTSC is 29.97 FPS is because it is precisely HALF of the north american power transmission frequency (~60 Hz. Same with PAL being 25 -- half of europe's power transmission frequency (~50 Hz). So back in the analog days, it was easy to synchronize your television with the video signal by using the powerline as a timer. Now though, all our displays run on DC power, so extra steps need to be taken to sync everything up -- in particular, manually setting your display to match your video output.

On the plus side though, it means that 25 FPS videos can be watched in north america now, and 30 FPS in europe. Try doing THAT with an A/C analog TV.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  Open source driver paired with an AMD graphics card for tear free video (and all the other benefits of open source) and then lots of CPU cores for video decoding. That's all it takes. .
                  You have to wait for kernel 2.6.33 to get tear free video with xbmc which use gl output... . Wait for the next round of distros and i think almost everybody will be happy with OSD.
                  Actually, when OSD radeon will get video decoding+powersaving option, through va-api or vdpau or anything else, it will be close to perfection (for me as non player user ^^).

You forgot quad core which works way better than dual core for video decoding.
                  Yes, and in this case using MPC-HC+ffdshow is the better option, far from anything according my experience... There was a tutorial on home-media website (french website) which explained how to use MPC-HC with ffdshow. There are many different options and we are far from that on linux.

Bibi

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    TexturedVideo was an option in the past that was used to get acceptable Xv with compositing desktops (compiz and the like). This plays OK today so that option (and also VideoOverlay) is not important. But you shouldn't be using Xv with fglrx in the first place (it has tearing and also wrong colors if you're watching on your monitor rather than a TV.) It's best to use GL for videos.

As for the refresh rate, it depends on the source material. "24p" studio movies (24FPS) would look best in refresh rates that are an even multiple of 24 (like 48Hz, 72Hz, 96Hz, etc.) For 25FPS PAL videos that would be 50Hz, 75Hz, 100Hz, etc. For NTSC (almost)30FPS video it's 60Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz, etc.

Whether or not the media player will deal correctly with 24p video when you have a "matching" refresh rate, I've no idea :P
                    How can i enable OpenGL?
                    The maerial i play ist very diffe?rent, when i understand you right there is no "universal" solution

Comment

Originally posted by bolzerrr View Post
                      How can i enable OpenGL?
                      You do that in your media player. In SMPlayer for example (it uses MPlayer under the hood,) you go to "Options->Preferences->Video" and in the "Output driver" selection box you pick "gl2 (yuv)".

If your media player doesn't support OpenGL you're out of luck :P

The maerial i play ist very diffe?rent, when i understand you right there is no "universal" solution
                      That's right. Though I don't bother too much about it. MPlayer and most other players seem to compensate just OK for the FPS/Hz differences.

Comment

Working...
                      X