No announcement yet.

ATI Driver 4 Video Playback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, it's how the setting in SMPlayer (mplayer front-end) is labeled. It's the plain X11 renderer of MPlayer.

Comment

OK, so (slow) is part of the option description, not what you are seeing on the screen ?
      Test signature

Comment

Yes. Video speed is correct in both cases (as one would assume with only 30 to 35% CPU load) with no frame dropping.

I would normally urge you to test this for yourself, but I remember you saying you're on dial-up, so getting an HD video sample is probably out of the question?

Comment

If you try play it in fullscreen with X11 you will see that it is using much more cpu than xv does...

Comment

Actually, it's the opposite. In fullscreen it uses slightly less CPU. My display is 1280x1024 and it's a 720p video, so in fullscreen there's no scaling at all and thus a bit lower CPU load. But not *much* lower (about 2%), which seems to validate my assumption that scaling is very cheap and not CPU intensive.

Comment

It might have to do with *how* the video is being scaled.
              There's more than one way/algo to do this

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
                i dont know if you are trying to be ironic , but i think the 4 in the thread title stands for "for".
                The only point I was trying to make is that it isn't "cute" for the OP to replace a word with a number that just happens to sound similar. Its stupid crap like that which will lead to the downfall of civilization.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  The only point I was trying to make is that it isn't "cute" for the OP to replace a word with a number that just happens to sound similar. Its stupid crap like that which will lead to the downfall of civilization.
                  that was the part I wasnt sure about ^^
                  either you misunderstood or you meant what you just said

Comment

It might have to do with *how* the video is being scaled. There's more than one way/algo to do this
                    Yeah, true. Point sampling is really cheap, bilinear has some cost, and bicubic (which is what Xv tries to run) more so.

I'm wondering if the earlier numbers I saw were not using SIMD instructions for the render acceleration and now they are... anyways, worth taking another look. Thanks RealNC.
                    Test signature

Comment

Ok my fault, but yes the 4 stands 4 for ;-)

Thanks for all replies, i will now try the 10.1 fglrx and chec how CPU utilisation will chenge. Do you in general suggest any configurations in xorg.conf?

cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X