Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's VDPAU Library Updated For DRI2 Work

Phoronix: NVIDIA's VDPAU Library Updated For DRI2 Work

NVIDIA's Aaron Plattner has announced the release of libvdpau 0.4. From November of 2008 when VDPAU was introduced to September of 2009, the Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix lived within NVIDIA's binary display driver package...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good stuff, even for people on non-NVidia hardware. At least someone seems to care about video acceleration on Linux.

Comment

does this mean that when vdpau comes to gallium, every single piece of graphics hardware with shader processors and a gallium driver will support vdpau?

and can vdpau be ported to arm for use on arm compatible graphics processors with a gallium driver(if/when that happens)?

this is some exciting stuff. gallium will totally change linux forever. gallium is such a brilliant idea!

Comment

I have a quesiton:
        It's great that nvidia provides an "open" video acceleration protocol. But is there a problem, that nvidia "owns" the protocol? Say open drivers implement vdpau and then nvidia changes the protocol? Or something like this?
        Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
          I have a quesiton:
          It's great that nvidia provides an "open" video acceleration protocol. But is there a problem, that nvidia "owns" the protocol? Say open drivers implement vdpau and then nvidia changes the protocol? Or something like this?
          Thanks.
          Read the license.

Comment

License or not, yes, this is definitely a concern.
            Nvidia came up with it, nvidia can change it.
            Nvidia can make their hardware only compatible with the "newest" iteration of it that they came up with.

Nvidia scares the crap out of me and I *strongly resist* implementing any of their suggestions into "standard". Nvidia should be forced to comply with standards, not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              License or not, yes, this is definitely a concern.
              Nvidia came up with it, nvidia can change it.
              Nvidia can make their hardware only compatible with the "newest" iteration of it that they came up with.

Nvidia scares the crap out of me and I *strongly resist* implementing any of their suggestions into "standard". Nvidia should be forced to comply with standards, not the other way around.
              News flash, most standards are from corporations. Intel for example could do the same thing with VA-API. Like any other project out there a change in license can happen anytime. openGL for example was basically SGI's baby,openAL was Creatives, and then there are the crapload of other protocols and API's that were developed over the years such as USB, ATA, etc. In short your concerns are unjustified. Let's put it this way, if Redhat and freedesktop give it the thumbs up then your concerns are pretty much NIH fueled FUD.

Comment

deanjo:
                Intel and ATI are known to be good for the open source ecosystem. nvidia gives a shit on it. From that perspective it trust Intel and AND way more than nvidia. It's not only a license question.

Don't get me wrong: If the protocol is better than VA API, then take it. I am the last, who says "No, don't implement it, just because it's from nvidia". If it's the best, if there are no concerns regarding the license and if it's open and also no concerns regarding the problem I asked for, then take it.

I'd also be interested in a developers view, if VDPAU is suitable for e.g. AMD or Intel cards, although VDPAU is developed (?) for nvidia cards. And which accel technology they contemplate. And why.

Thx again.

Comment

why do so many people have problems with nvidia as a company?

what's bad about them other than being a little controlling and having a closed driver, have they ever done anything against free software?

Comment

Originally posted by portets43 View Post
                    why do so many people have problems with nvidia as a company?

what's bad about them other than being a little controlling and having a closed driver, have they ever done anything against free software?
                    Four reasons, mainly:

1. they pursue an aggressive lock-in strategy instead of open standards (Physx, TWIMTBP, paying developers to remove features when running on competitors' hardware - see for example Assassin's Creed)

2. their model numbers are intentionally misleading (continuous renames, parts with different specs sold under the same names, marketing madness). Gee, you can buy a GT360 now, which is the same as the 260, which was the same as the 9800, which was a slightly beefed up version of the 8800. Nice! Cookies for anyone who can tell what DX version and what video acceleration level each of those supports without looking it up.

3. because they dealt the death blow to 3dfx

4. because they are indifferent/hostile to the idea of open-source drivers

Otherwise they produce pretty good software and hardware.

Comment

Working...
                    X