• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuppa-Chino View Post
    I am just slightly worried that it will never get fixed
    Don't give up.
    What is your exact model?
    On windows I was able to read and save the EDID, but still xorg doesn't work. Officially ati mobility HD5xxx is not supported by catalyst 10.3, so for some HD5xxx the driver works, for others don't. I'll wait for the 10.4 stable release, maybe they could fix the problem.

I work with 3D apps, and I spent a lot of money for this laptop, so I hope for a solution in a short time.

Comment

the exact model is VPCEB1C5E -- still fearful though -- really do not get why and what Sony has done to the poor screen on this thing....

Comment

I have the VPCEB1M1E/WI (not Full HD and i3, but lower price).

I don't think we'll never get a fix (we are talking open source here too), but it might take time... I've had a Samsung before (with an x700), which took months to work properly in linux. Plus, the GPUs are brand new, even the official drivers don't work with Ubuntu 10.4 yet, either.

Comment

some updates

Some updates here.
          http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.p...740784#p740784

Comment

So a couple of things that we should try to do:

a) take the WIN EDID, its saved and use it ... the one installed in my win7 config claimed it to be a microsoft display so its a reg key no more
            b) really disable DDC, I have no idea how, see my earlier posts
            c) as suggested below your post on archlinux use xorg.conf as an override for ddc but I do not think that causes the xorg ddc call to be overriden (as prob as in b) )
            d) pester Sony for a firmware flash for the system ???? I have no idea if this simply a problem somewhere there.....

all this is kind of as I feared from the beginning for some unholy Sony-reason they decided to save a millionth of a penny by not putting DDC in
            which again makes me worry that proper functionality will not be there without fiddling...

oh one side note I tried booting using a second screen attached to either hdmi or vga and disabling the primary screen to avoid the ddc but again I think that is not possible, I have not even managed to boot up windows using external display but failed even on that front......

on a side note... if I could get a
            * core i5m
            * mobility hd 56xx hd 57x
            * chiclet keyboard
            * 1080p display or (1600x900+)
            * NO internal cd/dvd/blueray

laptop that works then the sony could be wonderfully replaced

Comment

apparently someone got fglrx working on Ubuntu 9.10 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9102850 .

if this were the case (have asked for more info) then it would seem its a xorg / driver incompatability....

can anyone confirm this (sorry do not have the time to install 9.10 at the mo)

Comment

Well, 10.4 use x.org 1.7.5, which 9.10 does not. And the official AMD drivers (10.3) don't support the newer x.org yet... so no dice yet.

As the GPU is still new and 10.4 isn't even officially released I expect bugs like these.

Comment

lets see, I have asked him to check if he can do EDID scan under windows to check what he gets

@ TheWretched: you have a HD Ready display right? could you run softMCCS and check what your screen identifies as?

I will try and post the screen shots in U-forum later

Comment

see details here : ultiva seems to have it working on karmic

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9103852

Comment

problem fixed with new pre-release from today!

Comment

Working...
                      X