No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 10.1 Driver For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why anyone would want to run a modern radeon card on linux is beyond my comprehension. The drivers have been shit for EVER and they still are. The older radeons are starting to work real nice with the open source stuff, but if you want modern 3d, why spend hours hitting your head against the wall with this miserable load of crap? Get ANY geforce and you will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Monkey_King View Post
      Wow, even I am amazed on how little went into this release.

The message is clear: buy from us to get amazing things, but just install it on a Windows platform why dontcha?

<SAD>
      Message taken to heart! And OMG it actually works! If your only reason for using a computers is updating ATI drivers just switch to Windows7...belive me its just so much better.

Comment

Welcome me as a member in the Karmic-Club

Comment

THERE YOU GO!

10.1 with AUR package of Arch linux (google up ATI ARCH WIKI) and downgraded Xorg is working like a charm!!!! I have an ATi 5650 mobility which is not supported officially - but 10.1 is able to drive the GPU.

Suspend to ram worked, i could get back to the desktop.

OpenGL seems to work (fgl_glxgears is working :P).

I have a little icon in the bottom right corner in X, saying AMD Unsupported Hardware tho.

Also aticonfig tool doesnt work. I had to manually create my xorg.conf (the simplest config works, look for one here http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI#Configuration_2 ). aticonfig tells no supported card.

Well, WONDERs happen sometime!

Last edited by krionius; 28 January 2010, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Amidst all this rambling, I would just like to mention that I've seen a fps increase in my Unigine tropics/sanctuary benchmarks.

*ducks for cover..

Comment

fglrx is not that bad now. Two years ago (when I stop using it) it was much worse.

For the last two years my notebook had a nvidia card. I had replaced my motherboard 6 times in 21 months because the chip was dying.

So for my new desktop I decided to buy an ATI card. I knew I had to deal with some fglrx issues, but they are not so bad at they used to be. And I wanted to support AMD with the free software strategy.

BTW, composition and X-Plane work as charm

Comment

Could you guys test Compiz's Window Blur? I wanna know if they really broke it.

Comment

back in the green camp

so I am back to looking for an Nvidia GPU for my next machine ... I was happy with a HD4770 in the config, but seems my hopes for the driver side were too high.

did anybody test latest wine with 10.1 fglrx ?

EDIT: AMD/ATI has such a good price/performance ration for windows users. pity it is a lot worse on linux

Comment

So, does it work with 2.6.32 or not? I run .32 on Linux Mint 8 because that gives me a better performance, but I can't use 3D at the moment because FGLRX doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank-NL View Post
                      So, does it work with 2.6.32 or not? I run .32 on Linux Mint 8 because that gives me a better performance, but I can't use 3D at the moment because FGLRX doesn't work.
                      It works here on Arch linux with x86_64 Core kernel26 2.6.32.6-1 and Catalyst 10.1 from AUR repo.

Comment

Working...
                      X