No announcement yet.

Adobe Rants Over Linux Video Acceleration APIs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not that I'm particularly interested in flash or vdpau, but what is *really* interesting is that GNASH supports vdpau....

Yep. The open source clone of flash supports video decode acceleration, but the official one is trailing behind.

Regardless of that, as I've been saying in various different places over the last decade, flash REALLY needs to DIE.

Adobe has been uttering some threats of building a flash plugin for Android. It was supposed to be out in something like October. Good thing that they are completely retarded and take the better part of a decade to add alpha support for any new platform.

Comment

Originally posted by portets43 View Post
      well, in "A world without walls", nobody is aloud to complain.

but anyway, linux would move a bit faster if everyone would just standardize things.
      one package management system, one api for whatever... etc.
      although i value that people like choices, just standardize some main things and leave open comfortable options.

everyone just pick vdpau already!!!!! we need to give positive reinforcement to nvidia's open source efforts! negative attention will just make nvidia less likely to contribute to open source
      nVIDIA's open source efforts? Haha yeah right. Just because the API is documented does not make it open source.

Also if we just pick vdpau then we're stuck with nVIDIA hardware. In my opinion VA-API is a better choice at this point since it has VDPAU and XvBA backends, plus direct support on intel hardware. This way we can support hardware accelerated video on nVIDIA/ATI/Intel GPUs, rather than just nVIDIA.

Comment

OMG, Adobe folks should just STFU. I can't believe they are complaining. Okay, maybe Video Acceleration on Linux/Unix isn't perfect and there is no monopole. But as otheres here said, it is similar in Windows so what do they want? The big Adobe company not being able to deliver anything useful for years? Flash has been a horror under Windows as well as Linux, 32 or 64 bit x86, both. They support a very limited set of architectures and build shoddy software that like to crash, eat memory like I would like to eat chocolate, has so many sercurity holes, just plainly sucks (everything is flashing but no way to stop it without extra 3rd party plugins like flashblock.mozdev.org - or the allow control over webcam and microphone, flash extra cookies and so on) and they complain about something that isn't such a real problem? So why don't they just choose one of the available thing or have multi-API support?

Grrr. Get off me, Adobe. I so hope that things like Gnash will be able to decode all that nasty flash content so we'll finally have an alternative that doesn't depend on strange moods of these people.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Cocaine is a helluva drug

Every single video player on Linux already plays Adobe Flash videos an order of magnitude better than Adobe's plugin.

Apparently, everyone else can figure it out, except Adobe. Oh, and the code to do it is open source. If Adobe's plugin wasn't closed source, they could just use the existing code (with attribution) and be done.

All the problems they're whining about are of their own making, and have absolutely nothing to do with Linux.

Comment

Gnash is significantly behind on handling Flash 9 & 10, and Adobe keeps them behind on purpose. If Adobe gave a rat's @ss about Linux users, they would work on technical docs instead of MS Paint-designed FUD.

Comment

first line

This is a prerelease version of the Adobe? Flash? Player 10 software 64-bit Linux platforms.
              let me take a bite out of that.

prerelease

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
                Every single video player on Linux already plays Adobe Flash videos an order of magnitude better than Adobe's plugin.
                There's even a nice youtube videos player which allows you to browse them easily:

There's life outside the browser! Minitube is a native YouTube client. With it you can watch YouTube videos in a new way: you type a keyword, Minitube gives you an endless video stream. Minitube does not require the Flash Player. Minitube is not about cloning the original YouTube web interfa

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                  Are you running an extra repo or ppa for 64bit Flash. The default version in all 64bit Ubuntu releases (including 10.04 so far) has been 32bit wrapped with nspluginwrapper. The only way to get 64bit was to manually download and install it. Unless someone created an extra repo for it, that I missed until now.
                  No idea, to be honest: I checked last night and I have a 64-bit flash plugin which is the latest version and I don't remember intentionally updating it recently. But I might be confusing it with the 32-bit plugin on the netbook which definitely does auto-update.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    Not that I'm particularly interested in flash or vdpau, but what is *really* interesting is that GNASH supports vdpau....
                    Wrong. Gnash does not support VDPAU. Gnash supports the VA-API standard, which allows it to work on all major graphics platforms (Intel, Nvidia, ATI and S3).

Comment

Originally posted by admax88 View Post
                      nVIDIA's open source efforts? Haha yeah right. Just because the API is documented does not make it open source.

Also if we just pick vdpau then we're stuck with nVIDIA hardware. In my opinion VA-API is a better choice at this point since it has VDPAU and XvBA backends, plus direct support on intel hardware. This way we can support hardware accelerated video on nVIDIA/ATI/Intel GPUs, rather than just nVIDIA.
                      Agreed. By going with VDPAU, you are effectively locked into the Nvidia hardware cartel. VA-API would be the more sensible choice since it works on all platforms.

Comment

Working...
                      X