X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duma

Ops... How can i able KMS?
    As nanonyme replied
    Remove nomodeset switch from kernel line, remove uvesafb from kernel line, use KMS?
    Then
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    make sure modules are registered
    Code:
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    restart

Should I have to recompilate my kernel?
    No
    With out fglrx you can use a more recent kernel. I use 2.6.35.rc4 here

or if you prefer stable mainline

Ubuntu supples compiled images. It says maverick but Lucid is default KMS also.

Sharky

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
      No
      With out fglrx you can use a more recent kernel. I use 2.6.35.rc4 here

or if you prefer stable mainline

Ubuntu supples compiled images. It says maverick but Lucid is default KMS also.
      Sharky
      Thanks a lot Sharky.
      I remove this settings and now this is my situation:
      if I try to able compiz (with compiz --replace or with System -> Preferences menu), compiz doesn't work good (slow). Looks like when I try to use normal "default" Radeon + KMS + compiz.
      If I try compiz++ 0.9 works with a lots of bug: sometimes doesn't load Window decorator, sometime crash, etc etc.

Now I try with this new kernel, I post you the news.
      Thanks a lot to all, guys!

Comment

• Sorry guys,
        new kernel (2.6.34-02063401) is worse than 2.6.32 kernel.
        It doesn't find my keyboard and if I try to run compiz or compiz++0.9 I see only my wallpaper with no icon, no panel, nothing .

Should I have to reinstall Lucid, update to 2.6.32 kernel and reinstall Gallium driver?

Gallium driver works with "default" compiz 0.8 better than normal radeon? I mean... I know they are experimental, but can Gallium driver support some "heavy" plugin like burn, alpha blur (very interesting about this), or similar?

normal radeon driver only support perfectly burn, with KMS disable, of course (I have a ATI Radeon X1600). Not Alpha Blur .

Comment

• If there is a compiz effect that doesn't work with the Gallium driver, I'd like to know about that.

Both Alpha Blur and Focus Blur work there.

Comment

• Duma, if the normal "classic" mesa drivers do not work well with KMS, you probably have a KMS problem that you should solve before coming back here. Installing gallium drivers will not magically fix your system.

Comment

• You should also try a Lucid or Maverick live CD (will default to KMS) to see if everything is ok. That the 2.6.34 kernel makes your keyboard not work sounds strange, and I wonder if your system is a bit messed up. Anyway, I would go for 2.6.35-rc4.

Comment

• I understand all your perplexities tormod, sorry if i miss your time .

Probably I have problem with KMS and I don't know it... because I believed ATI driver doesn't support KMS (because ATI driver always has problem ) .
                When I have more time I'll try to reinstall Lucid. But I'm not hopeful: when I've installed Lucid other times I've always disabled KMS: if I didn't disable, compiz didn't work.

Any suggest?

(Again sorry if i've mess your time, guys!)

Comment

• Hi, I am new to the forum and was wondering whether anyone could offer any advice on problem that I am having testing the r300g driver on my 9600XT AGP card with Ubuntu 10.04.

I installed Gallium3D using the xorg-edgers PPA (https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/radeon) and initially everything looked great.

The results from "glxinfo | grep OpenGL" are:

OpenGL vendor string: X.Org R300 Project
                  OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on RV350
                  OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.9-devel
                  OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

... so that seems good. Compiz works great, glxgears runs at about 1400FPS and Neverball runs nicely - it looks on a par with the old r300 driver.

Hovever, as soon as I try to run Google Earth it grinds to a halt - I reckon about one frame per second at best. With OpenArena I get similar results; I am getting less than one FPS at 800x600, as opposed to about 44 FPS using the old r300 driver!

So I'm guessing that something is either wrong with my setup, or the driver doesn't like something about my card. Does anyone have any ideas? As far as I know I havn't modified anything since performing a clean install Lucid.

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by tovj View Post
                    Hi, I am new to the forum and was wondering whether anyone could offer any advice on problem that I am having testing the r300g driver on my 9600XT AGP card with Ubuntu 10.04.

I installed Gallium3D using the xorg-edgers PPA (https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/radeon) and initially everything looked great.

The results from "glxinfo | grep OpenGL" are:

OpenGL vendor string: X.Org R300 Project
                    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on RV350
                    OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.9-devel
                    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

... so that seems good. Compiz works great, glxgears runs at about 1400FPS and Neverball runs nicely - it looks on a par with the old r300 driver.

Hovever, as soon as I try to run Google Earth it grinds to a halt - I reckon about one frame per second at best. With OpenArena I get similar results; I am getting less than one FPS at 800x600, as opposed to about 44 FPS using the old r300 driver!

So I'm guessing that something is either wrong with my setup, or the driver doesn't like something about my card. Does anyone have any ideas? As far as I know I havn't modified anything since performing a clean install Lucid.

Thanks
                    Have you checked xorg-edgers updates recently?
                    Does your problem still exists?
                    I wonder how does Nexuiz work on yours hardware on Gallium3D and how stable r300g is for general desktop usage (desktop effects with or without games). I have the same card ( Radeon 9600, except for XT ;-) ), but I haven't tried Gallium3D, yet.

Comment

• I've tested r300g in openarena with latest kernel-rcX and xf86-video-ati from git on RV350 and it runs more or less the same as r300c.

Comment

Working...
                      X