Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI R600/R700 Gallium3D Winsys Published

Phoronix: ATI R600/R700 Gallium3D Winsys Published

When it comes to Gallium3D hardware drivers for ATI Radeon graphics cards, most of the work up to this point has been focused on the R300g driver that is for ATI's older graphics processors up through the R500 / Radeon X1000 series. The Gallium3D R300 DRI support is considered done as is most of the driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why is it called winsys?

Comment

It was intended to contain the code specific to a WINdowing SYStem and OS, while the pipe driver was intended to contain the code specific to the GPU.

At Tungsten Graphics I've been working in Gallium3D — a very promising architecture to develop 3D graphic drivers for multiple operating s...

In the case of the Linux/X/Mesa/DRI stack I guess the winsys mostly talks to the drm, and the drm in turn talks to X via the DRI protocol.
      Last edited by bridgman; 24 January 2010, 10:44 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

I see. I thought it had something to do with the Winsys company that made graphics cards in the R300 days.

Phew

Comment

Haha, this isn't a Gallium winsys. This is just some standalone code. Technically, the Radeon DRM winsys in Gallium already can run an r600 with softpipe.

Comment

Yeah, I guess strictly speaking this is a standalone app which demonstrates Jerome's proposal for how the 6xx/7xx winsys should interact with drm in future, and which draws a couple of rectangles directly rather than processing requests from upper levels of the stack like a real winsys.
            Test signature

Comment

radeonhd.org

Unrelated to this discussion, but any idea if/when the irc logs at radeonhd.org will start working again?

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                Unrelated to this discussion, but any idea if/when the irc logs at radeonhd.org will start working again?
                I had no idea they were down (next time please PM me or create a new thread or email me). They should be back up in a few minutes.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                X