Tear free 2D desktop, possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tear free 2D desktop, possible?

First of all I'm really sorry if this is not the correct section for this topic.

I've started using Ubuntu about 4 years ago and *consequently* I was using Compiz.
    Recently I moved to Arch Linux and decided to try a new WM, Openbox. The first thing I noticed is that there was a lot of tearing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing) when moving windows around. I tried to find a solution to this problem but I couldn't. I tried different xorg configurations, different drivers, different monitors, and even different graphics cards but the result was always the same, tearing.
    The thing is this is not related to the WM itself, it also happens in every other WM I've tried (even GNOME) except when I'm using Compiz.

The problem for me to find the root cause of this problem is that I know most people *do* have screen tearing but they don't even notice it. I tried to show it to my brother and he wasn't able to notice it.
    I just want to know if there is a solution to this problem or if this is just a consequence of not using hardware acceleration, like Compiz does by using OpenGL.

You can check a topic I created on the Arch Linux forums when I was trying to solve this issue.

Regards.
Working...
X