Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's New Clarkdale IGP On Linux Not So Pleasant

Phoronix: Intel's New Clarkdale IGP On Linux Not So Pleasant

Last week we shared that Intel Core i3 Linux benchmarks were being worked on at Phoronix with an Intel Core i3 530 "Clarkdale" processor that we had purchased. This recently released Intel Core i3 processor features an integrated graphics processor on the CPU itself...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Phoronix where writing articles IS the bug report :-$

Comment

Could you guys try to just kill X with ctrl+alt+bcksp instead of rebooting? I'm curious to see what'll happen. You'll need to enable the combo first (at least in Ubuntu).

Comment

P55 motherboard ?
        is not H55 required to use the IGP ?
        or I am messed up with all this new Intel socket/chipset.

Comment

Originally posted by pchev View Post
          P55 motherboard ?
          is not H55 required to use the IGP ?
          or I am messed up with all this new Intel socket/chipset.
          Typo, it's H55. will fix when I get back to my office.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm very interested about i530 performance on Linux as I'm thinking to buy one.
            Tests about performance and also power consumptions would be very welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Intel's New Clarkdale IGP On Linux Not So Pleasant

Last week we shared that Intel Core i3 Linux benchmarks were being worked on at Phoronix with an Intel Core i3 530 "Clarkdale" processor that we had purchased. This recently released Intel Core i3 processor features an integrated graphics processor on the CPU itself...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzkwOA
              GPU hung is not Clarkdale problem, it seems all intel chips affected on 2009Q4. Bug for 965 was recently fixed in kernel, however there's still a bug for gen3 hardware (915-945 chipsets), here it is: http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25475

Comment

Originally posted by anarsoul View Post
                GPU hung is not Clarkdale problem, it seems all intel chips affected on 2009Q4. Bug for 965 was recently fixed in kernel, however there's still a bug for gen3 hardware (915-945 chipsets), here it is: http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25475
                as i was reading the article i had a strange feeling it was a hardware issue......

Comment

As somebody already said, this is a driver issue that affects not only Clarkdale. My laptop has an Intel X3100 GPU (using the i915 driver) and I have these same horrid X lockups randomly when closing the lid or suspending, or maybe just sitting idle for a long time (and setting the screen to go blank after some time).

I can still SSH into the laptop, and what I see is the /usr/bin/X process eating a whole core. As for the laptop itself, sysrq+reisub is the only thing that physically works.

Hope it gets fixed soon, because it is indeed disastrous. I tried the git versions for the intel driver and libdrm, to no avail. So right now I'm stuck with a laptop whose lid can't be closed or which can't go into suspend mode because it's like playing russian roulette.

Comment

Originally posted by GODLiKE View Post
                    As somebody already said, this is a driver issue that affects not only Clarkdale. My laptop has an Intel X3100 GPU (using the i915 driver) and I have these same horrid X lockups randomly when closing the lid or suspending, or maybe just sitting idle for a long time (and setting the screen to go blank after some time).
                    Awww... This is very much like the Wireless screwup Intel's bunch had back about 3 years back. Not good. Guess I'll avoid the front of the source tree for my i945 based devices and hang back a bit on the i3 purchase I was planning on for end of next month.

Comment

Working...
                    X