No announcement yet.

Farewell To X@FOSDEM. 2010 Is The Last.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farewell To X@FOSDEM. 2010 Is The Last.

Phoronix: Farewell To X@FOSDEM. 2010 Is The Last.

X@FOSDEM 2011? Forget about it. It is to much disappointment that we have to report this evening that the X@FOSDEM DevRoom will be ending this year, after the X.Org project has consistently held a development room at Europe's largest free software event for years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Request for Open Audio/Video

To the Phoronix staff,

If you do provide any audio or video content of the X talks at FOSDEM, please, please, please use an open, patent-free format (FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, Ogg Theora, Speex, Dirac, etc) for the content. Open file formats are crucial to ensure that all your readers can access the content on a level playing field. Thanks for your consideration of this matter.

Comment

So nobody cares about developing the most fundamental linux graphics component? kind of sad. I would think especially those with commercial interests in X would want to give presentations.

Comment

This is actually a good thing!

X.Org is in pretty good shape nowadays, compared to 2004. We have desktop effects and 720p playback out-of-the-box on most machines, even netbooks, and all necessary infrastructure (Kernel Modesetting, Gallium3D, open source drivers with 3D accelleration for the most important chipsets) is set up. Now things just need to be implemented and bugfixed.

Most X@FOSDEM talks in 2010 would just be about obvious things, like "The state of xy", and if I went to FOSDEM I would certainly not want to "waste" my time on a talk that just delivers information I can also look up on the project website in under 10 minutes.

One major X.org event per year seems enough to me for now, and FOSDEM visitors will also be happy: The X@FOSDEM slot will be assigned to one of the many projects which got denied a devRoom in the last years.

Comment

i'm rather interested in the presentation handouts/files. could you provide them downloadable as pdf? (imho they are more intersting than watching a looong video...)

Comment

Originally posted by Regenwald View Post
            i'm rather interested in the presentation handouts/files. could you provide them downloadable as pdf? (imho they are more intersting than watching a looong video...)
            That would be nice +1

Comment

Originally posted by sturmflut View Post
              This is actually a good thing!

X.Org is in pretty good shape nowadays, compared to 2004. We have desktop effects and 720p playback out-of-the-box on most machines, even netbooks, and all necessary infrastructure (Kernel Modesetting, Gallium3D, open source drivers with 3D accelleration for the most important chipsets) is set up. Now things just need to be implemented and bugfixed.

Most X@FOSDEM talks in 2010 would just be about obvious things, like "The state of xy", and if I went to FOSDEM I would certainly not want to "waste" my time on a talk that just delivers information I can also look up on the project website in under 10 minutes.

One major X.org event per year seems enough to me for now, and FOSDEM visitors will also be happy: The X@FOSDEM slot will be assigned to one of the many projects which got denied a devRoom in the last years.
              I can't tell whether you are being sarcastic or not.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                To the Phoronix staff,

If you do provide any audio or video content of the X talks at FOSDEM, please, please, please use an open, patent-free format (FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, Ogg Theora, Speex, Dirac, etc) for the content. Open file formats are crucial to ensure that all your readers can access the content on a level playing field. Thanks for your consideration of this matter.
                Well it's not really a level playing field as most other OS's don't support those formats out of the box. I'd be willing to bet that there are more people with flash installed across all OS's vs OS's that have those codecs mentioned installed.

Comment

Flash will likely be used for various reasons. Ogg may be available to Premium subscribers.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

As a side note looks like Google and Vimeo are pushing ahead with HTML5 video (sorry no free codec support, Firefox/Opera users need not apply).

The latest video breaking news, comment, reviews and features from the experts at Tom's Guide

Comment

Working...
                    X