Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Firefox 3.6 Is Now Available

Phoronix: Mozilla Firefox 3.6 Is Now Available

Mozilla Firefox 3.5 was released over six months ago, but as of a few hours ago, Firefox 3.6 has been built and is ready for release. Mozilla Firefox 3.6 focuses on security enhancements, performance improvements (including JavaScript), support for Personas, better plug-in management, native HTML5 video improvements, and much more. Firefox.com has yet to be updated for the 3.6 release, but the final builds can be found in this FTP directory...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Mozilla Firefox 3.6 Is Now Available

Mozilla Firefox 3.5 was released over six months ago, but as of a few hours ago, Firefox 3.6 has been built and is ready for release. Mozilla Firefox 3.6 focuses on security enhancements, performance improvements (including JavaScript), support for Personas, better plug-in management, native HTML5 video improvements, and much more. Firefox.com has yet to be updated for the 3.6 release, but the final builds can be found in this FTP directory...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzg5OQ
    It's live on Mozilla.com now.

Also, please don't link directly to the FTP address. Mozilla *really* doesn't like it. Firstly, it bypasses their load balancer, which can make one of their hosting providers get an unfair hit.

Most importantly, if it's not officially on Mozilla.com, it's NOT officially released (though it is now) - many times in the past people have linked to release candidates or various other file on Mozilla's FTP site which are NOT the final release versions.

Honestly, I expected better of Phoronix.

Comment

I really disliked new tab open order. Fortunately there is a way to revert:
      in about:config set browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent to false.

Comment

You know what's the best part about this? The gentoo mozilla-overlay finally moved on to providing Firefox 3.7 ebuilds. That means Tracemonkey JIT for gentoo-amd64-users. Yay.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
          You know what's the best part about this? The gentoo mozilla-overlay finally moved on to providing Firefox 3.7 ebuilds. That means Tracemonkey JIT for gentoo-amd64-users. Yay.
          Not much fun without my add-ons :P

Anyway, 3.6 on Gentoo AMD64 is much faster than 3.5. It's like day and night.

Comment

I just finished building... results are kinda disappointing actually.
            Top is Firefox 3.6, bottom is 3.7a (somehow my useragent-string is broken, my Firefox always reports itself as 3.0.5... I guess caused by a faulty plugin). Performance is improved obviously, but not by as much as I had hoped. There indeed seems to be something fscked up with Firefox on Linux. Sucks. :<

Comment

Don't be sad, with that, 3.7 is over Opera 9.64 64bit

Comment

I just went to that benchmark. Chrome seems to beat the crap out of everybody :P

Comment

Working...
                X