Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 4.5 Status Update: Not Yet Branched

Phoronix: GCC 4.5 Status Update: Not Yet Branched

In early December we passed along a GCC 4.5 status update in which there were still 26 P1 regressions (the highest priority), 93 P2 regressions, and four P3 regressions. Red Hat's Jakub Jelinek has published a new GCC 4.5 status update on the GCC mailing list...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great, I'm also interested about the improvements for mingw.
    Last edited by bulletxt; 21 January 2010, 11:25 AM.

Comment

how is llvm and c/c++ doing?
      havent heard much about that in a while.

Comment

Since version 4.2 GCC produces more bloated and bloated code with no improvements in performance.

The compiler itself is getting terribly slow.

It's a perfect example of a software getting more bloated instead of getting leaner and faster.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Since version 4.2 GCC produces more bloated and bloated code with no improvements in performance.

It's a perfect example of a software getting more bloated instead of getting leaner and faster.
          I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in compiler speed within the 4.x series.

Comment

I very much disagree. I've noticed performance differences between 4.2 , 4.3 and 4.4 in my Gentoo system, in favour of the newer version each time. The differences weren't enormous ofcourse, but still it was a small boost which is always welcome.
            For example in tests I made with lame, xvid etc, the O2 binaries of 4.4 were faster than the O3 binaries of 4.3 (the O3 versions of 4.4 was even faster).
            GCC is getting better and better (in what has to do with performance of course).
            Last edited by Apopas; 21 January 2010, 05:06 PM.

Comment

so with llvm, does that mean gcc will be able to compile c++ code through the gpu?

Comment

Well that's a load of bull. There has been numerous performance improvements on the generated code. I must admit that I haven't made any timings on compilation speed though. Though considering that more optimizations has been added to the -O2-3 levels it's very likely to have become slower, but that's pretty much unavoidable since more optimizations means more work for the compiler.

Comment

Yep, no one has done any tests and timings, but I did.

At -O2 GCC 4.4 binaries are no faster than GCC 4.2 binaries, yet every binary produced by GCC 4.4 is up to 20% bigger in size.

That really well translates into overall slowness of the system.

Comment

@birdie
                    You are wrong again. I did a lot of tests in my Gentoo system and 4.4 is 3% faster than 4.2 in average.
                    Unfortunately I've not kept comparisons between 4.4 and 4.2 but I have few tests between 4.4 and 4.3 which shows a minor boost.
                    Here is one with Lame encoder.

Ntoice that O2 of 4.4 is faster than O3 of 4.3.
                    The difference between 4.4 and 4.2 was even larger.

Comment

Working...
                    X