Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Want From Linux GPU Drivers In 2010?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is completely unrealistic, but
    * All graphics cards ever to have existed and graphics that will ever exist with fully(yes fully ) optimized gallium drivers + KMS that use the (completed) x11 state tracker for exa accel and use xf86-video-modesetting for generic modesetting and of course the docs.
    * A perfect implementation of wine that has no flaws.
    That's it.

It looks possible

Comment

Originally posted by some-guy View Post
      This is completely unrealistic, but
      * All graphics cards ever to have existed and graphics that will ever exist with fully(yes fully ) optimized gallium drivers + KMS that use the (completed) x11 state tracker for exa accel and use xf86-video-modesetting for generic modesetting and of course the docs.
      * A perfect implementation of wine that has no flaws.
      That's it.

It looks possible
      Unless it has full KMS support for my Tandy 1000ex and it's 16 color CGA adapter I'm not interested.

Comment

HD4870 to play games on WINE at least as good as a 20 year old Nvidia card.

Comment

I've lost faith in my post getting through the moderation queue.

Originally posted by patstew View Post
          Direct3D

I can dream can't I?
          Okay so here's what you do:
          1) go to the cgit interface on fdo which is cgit dot freedesktop dot org
          2) scroll down to ~jsindholt/mesa
          You'll see my VERY basic implementation of a D3D9 state_tracker for G3D

Comment

At the moment I would like to see

[AMD ATI Open Source]
            1. Some kind of working video decoding support by GPU which would ease CPU's bourdain
            2. Dynamic power scaling, voltages & clocks, also nice tool to tweak these values by user like me, i like undervolting more than default values <3

[AMD ATI Fglrx]
            1. KMS support
            2. Super efficient video decoding which owns Nvidia's VPDAU, lets put UDV2 in good use!
            3. Better dynamic power consumption management, possibility to track how/when GPU & memory -clocks & voltages are scaled down
            4. Better overclocking support
            5. Bluray playback, and yes also with DRM enabled dics

[NVDIA]
            1. Nvidia helping Nouveau team by releasing specs
            2. Power consumption, look at AMD ATI -case
            3. See bluray stuff from AMD ATI case -case

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
              That they improve to the point where a thread like this would have no sense. This is, parity with Windows.
              +1

but, as I explained on my previous post.. it ain't only a matter of drivers ... All the GNU/Linux environment (kernel, X, ... ) should evolve in order to allow feature parity

Comment

Originally posted by zhasha View Post
                I've lost faith in my post getting through the moderation queue.

Okay so here's what you do:
                1) go to the cgit interface on fdo which is cgit dot freedesktop dot org
                2) scroll down to ~jsindholt/mesa
                You'll see my VERY basic implementation of a D3D9 state_tracker for G3D
                Excellent, I'm glad someone has taken this up. Are you borrowing much from Wine for this? (I know most of their calls relay into WineD3D but many of the simpler calls don't, and the COM interfaces, headers etc. could be used).

EDIT: Just seen your chat in #winehackers - if I had the time + knowledge to compile and test Gallium3D state trackers I'd help out. Any decent tutorials for this?
                Last edited by Kazade; 22 January 2010, 07:18 AM.

Comment

1) Evergreen support
                  2) r600-r800 accelerated 3D to parity with nVidia in WINE
                  3) some form of video acceleration

Comment

Canon LIDE 600f scanner drivers ...

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
                      HD4870 to play games on WINE at least as good as a 20 year old Nvidia card.
                      Yeah after all this time and linux still doesn't do Dx9 properly or integrate it.

Comment

Working...
                      X