Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 64

Thread: IBM's Bob Sutor Questions Linux Gaming

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    671

    Default

    I suppose there's no one absolute best game, there are different styles that suit different kinds of games. Some games incorporate features in a fun engaging way, while in others they are just thrown together and drag the game down.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    372

    Default

    @V!ncent: Gameplay means game mechanics, it's the ease of use you, the player, have to interact with the game for example its control, logic do solve a puzzle and stuff like that. it doesn't mean that the game doesn't have 3D or a physics engine or even a good manual!

    As L33F3R said, if you know how to make the perfect engine, be my guest! I would enjoy to see that! From my understanding for each genre of game there will be its own mechanics to implement. Oh if you really do create the "perfect engine" you will have to make one game from each existing genre. Here is a link to understand "game genres" but as you seems to be all knowing man i'm sure that you don't need to read it, right? check out gameplay defenition that you really don't know what it means!

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L33F3R View Post
    Good gameplay is the interaction with other elements, in a "good" way. Sinse the goal of any game is enjoyment, good gameplay then refers the the interaction with other elements that result in the end user having a good time. That wasn't so hard was it?
    Then define fun and good gameplay and we're back at where we started. Basically what I said: A game should just be a good game. You just repeated what I said. There is no point in that pointlessnes. I am not sure where you wanted to go with that...

    [...] its quick to realize you like to ramble on and that this post would take up 2 much page realestate for its own worth.
    At least I am thinking of solutions instead of just staring at my coca cola glass while complaining its half empty...

    The perfect engine can be made, so start making it.
    What I proposed was already from the list of ideas I have for such an engine. To make it even more 'realestate consuming' and 'rambling', if it wasn't already bad enough that I was trying to come up with something new and back it up with arguments (Good God!), I am also planning to go with a ray casting/tracing/photon mapping renderer for desktop computers

    "AmmaGawD diD H3 ju5T 5aid ThaT?!?!?!"

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto/North Bay Canada
    Posts
    877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Then define fun and good gameplay and we're back at where we started. Basically what I said: A game should just be a good game. You just repeated what I said. There is no point in that pointlessnes. I am not sure where you wanted to go with that...
    i think you confused yourself. You had asked me to define good gameplay (well actually you said i couldn't) which i did. Noone is debating that good games are good games.
    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    At least I am thinking of solutions instead of just staring at my coca cola glass while complaining its half empty...
    You are not thinking of solutions, you are presenting solutions that in your brain already work. Many of us here, including myself, share our ideas on how to solve such problems. You on the other hand, are certain to shit that you are right. Accepting criticism clearly doesnt exist in your world. Sorry for participating in a forum, this is what this is after all, no? If you dont want people to pick apart your ideas dont post them. However by picking them apart we can also find ways to solve these problems we first never knew existed. For example, how are you going to make sure everyone has the same engine version in an unmodified form when distros package it? Alternatively your idea has given me idea regarding something not so totally different.

    Now you have ambitious goals. And i back you up in achieving them because certainly little harm could come from progression. As with anything in the world of linux, when i see it I will see it and if i dont i never seen it. Much the the awesome raw power of ATI cards under linux and the death of Nvidia (thank you Qaridarium) .

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L33F3R View Post
    i think you confused yourself. You had asked me to define good gameplay (well actually you said i couldn't) which i did. Noone is debating that good games are good games.
    You said good gameplay is gameplay that enjoys the user. Well... what is the gameplay that makes the users have a good time full of enjoyment?

    You are not thinking of solutions, you are presenting solutions that in your brain already work. Many of us here, including myself, share our ideas on how to solve such problems. You on the other hand, are certain to shit that you are right.
    Problems:
    1. No common software across the entire Linux distribution board.
    2. No stable API and framework.
    3. Too much efford.
    4. Not enough revenue due to small user group

    My suggestions for solving these problems:
    1. Standardize on a single software framework that the game doesn't have to adapt to but the other way around; the engine looks at the game and opens it up for the player.
    2. Standard functionality that can be added upon to give game developpers something that nevers changes but extends. The engine itself has the upsides of being portable across everything whithout the downside of having to make a commercial game free software.
    3. Too much effort reduced by collectively create a single modular engine to eliminate having to create what was already created elsewhere.
    4. See the solution to point number 3; less coding man hours means less costs.

    Now what were your solutions? None.

    Accepting criticism clearly doesnt exist in your world.
    Unusable criticism? No. However: "X will not work because of Y so you might want to considder doing Z" I do like. Instead of whining that everything is going to suck you might like to provide actual solutions and think with me.

    However by picking them apart we can also find ways to solve these problems we first never knew existed. For example, how are you going to make sure everyone has the same engine version in an unmodified form when distros package it? Alternatively your idea has given me idea regarding something not so totally different.
    You just created the biggest BS bogus problem... realy. Where are your brains, in your ass? The engine plays the game, not the other way around. It's like an MS Office container document; Word reads it out and displays it. It can also be read out and changed by OpenOffice.org, Koffice, Abiword and maybe some more... Where's your versioning problem now?

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto/North Bay Canada
    Posts
    877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    You said good gameplay is gameplay that enjoys the user.
    wait... what?

    -----
    Problems:
    1. No common software across the entire Linux distribution board. (somewhat right)
    2. No stable API and framework. (depends who you ask as i know many would beg to differ)
    3. Too much efford. (effort* and again it depends who you ask.)
    4. Not enough revenue due to small user group (hmm, i would tend to say yes but under certain circumstances)
    -----
    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Now what were your solutions? None.
    None of which i have presented. if you cared to actually read word for word what i post.

    Unusable criticism? No. However: "X will not work because of Y so you might want to considder doing Z" I do like. Instead of whining that everything is going to suck you might like to provide actual solutions and think with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by L33F3R
    Alternatively your idea has given me idea regarding something not so totally different.
    Clearly you have a reading deficiency. I dont need to spew out my ideas before i even refine them, and i certainly dont need you to beat them out of me.

    Quote Originally Posted by L33F3R
    You just created the biggest BS bogus problem... realy. Where are your brains, in your ass?
    Actually i have a single brain. "brains" is the plural to "brain".

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    The engine plays the game, not the other way around. It's like an MS Office container document; Word reads it out and displays it. It can also be read out and changed by OpenOffice.org, Koffice, Abiword and maybe some more...
    I have understood this for the longest time. I get a serious gut feeling that you are leaving a huge chunk of your idea out. I understand where you want to take this, but i get the feeling its A. been attempted before or B. It simply cant be done because of a human issue or technical. I dont see much of a problem adding a bunch of functionality so that many people could use it for whatever purpose but a few things just shy me away. I actually wouldn't mind if you could PM me a more detailed account of this idea because i do believe it has the basis for a good project. Simply a lack of refinement in my eyes, but i get a funny feeling you have thought it out hard and cold.

    BTW V!NCENT, as many will tell you i bring out the worst in people and their ideas. Often times disagreeing with myself to keep debate open and information flowing. Doing so can help identify problems and hurdles. It is not my intention to be an angry old bastard and hate you, because i dont .

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    1. No common software across the entire Linux distribution board.
    WHY would your game need anything except the API's, hm? The game doesn't need a word-proc, and in most cases, things like browsers. All the game needs to do is tie into whatever sound, rendering, networking, etc. libraries on the machine.

    2. No stable API and framework.
    Define "stable" API... As for frameworks...let's see...

    OpenGL.
    OpenAL.
    Miles. (Yes, if you want to shell out an additional $5k...)
    Granny. (Ditto...)
    Bink. (Ditto...)
    FMOD.
    RakNet.
    SDL.
    Allegro.
    ClanLib.
    Crystal Space.
    OGRE.
    Cube2.

    Each one have been used in major commercial applications. All of them exist on Linux in a stable fashion and are pretty easy to use.

    As for "stable"- I wouldn't have been able to ship Caster3D to 32 and 64-bit customers on over 3/4ths of the distributions out there with minimal issues- and I certainly wouldn't be going back for more in the form of three more titles currently.

    3. Too much efford.
    Uh... If it were "too much effort" I wouldn't be doing this after-hours like I do right now. I happen to hold down a pretty decent paying job doing Linux Systems Software for Tektronix Communications, Inc. providing the system backbone for telecom grade hardware. I happen to raise champion performance horses. If it were "too much effort" I couldn't manage it.

    I've said it often- it's not too hard, it's unfamiliarity with the OS than it's actual difficulty.

    4. Not enough revenue due to small user group
    Perhaps. Perhaps not. If your argument's true- why even debate the subject. It's not even worth bothering with as a FOSS project except to humor oneself if what you're saying is actually even remotely close to the truth. I don't see it that way. The main reason the "money's not there" is more because of things like WINE and dual booting. These things aggrivate the problem and keep money from being in the space in the first place (the money's being spent on WINDOWS titles when you do either of those things- and "pragmatism" is just an rationalization for doing the wrong thing, really...)

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Where are your brains, in your ass?
    L33F3R, do you have cloud computing implemented inside of your skull? I've been wondering if it would fit in mine...

    @Svartalf: you stole my post i was going to post something similar to yours. I mean about the frameworks and API.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Setlec View Post
    L33F3R, do you have cloud computing implemented inside of your skull? I've been wondering if it would fit in mine..
    You can't wonder unless you have multiple brains, smartass :P

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EmbryonicBrain.svg

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    double post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •