Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Activity Journal Released w/ Zeitgeist Update

Phoronix: GNOME Activity Journal Released w/ Zeitgeist Update

Back in December Zeitgeist 0.3 was released with many changes and its engine was even largely reworked. Since then there have been a few point releases as GNOME Zeitgeist is in the process of being stabilized for a Zeitgeist 0.4 release in time for GNOME 2.30...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I find GNOME Activity Journal completely useless. Why would I need anything to display what I was doing. It could as well track all of your keystrokes and automatically upload that data to somebody that could take advantage of that and the individual resulting in profit.

Let's keep a journal! And index and grind the hard drive, like there's nothing else useful to do.

Comment

Does it look like the Windows events viewers with "more features" ?

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
        I find GNOME Activity Journal completely useless. Why would I need anything to display what I was doing. It could as well track all of your keystrokes and automatically upload that data to somebody that could take advantage of that and the individual resulting in profit.

Let's keep a journal! And index and grind the hard drive, like there's nothing else useful to do.
        I dont know if gnome journal will be usefull but the Sugar journal (the OLPC desktop env) is very interesting, the problem is that every programs much be adapted to use the journal.

Comment

Haven't been able to get this new one working yet but it is exciting.

The zeitgeist team has done really good work. Zeitgeist is the single biggest feature, IMHO, of G3. The framework has great potential. This activity journal is only the most trivial use of zeitgeist that I can imagine. Still, it has some interest since you will be able to easily track your work progression and re-trace your thoughts by following "commits". It's really like a high level journalling fs that attempts to be context aware(by creating a graph of activities and making guesses as to what is relevent based upon nearest neighbors with duration and time distance from event of interest being key factors, IIRC). For those who are concerned about keylogging, it doesn't work that way... well, not easily. You can filter events for searching(last I checked, this was to be something that was to be persistent so that things you weren't interested in, but still wanted to record, would not be visible) or tell it to not record certain things(umm...state tax law research?).
          Since Tracker is used as a store for zeitgeist I'm hoping that .7(.8?, I'm not sure if they use odds for devel or not) is released soon...especially with archiving support!

Best/Liam

Comment

To me, this is bloat. I hate these kind of features and they are one of the reasons why I left Windows behind. A desktop environment should be lean and mean. Separate applications/features is fine as long as they don't go berserk among your personal files and folders. What's not fine is completely unnecessary applications/features which integrate completely (non-removable) with the environment.

Comment

Working...
            X