X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madman2k View Post
    you are ridiculous man - learn how to argue:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
    You might want to read it yourself since it's clear you don't understand what a straw man is. Using Ubuntu as a synonym for Linux is very poor practice and diminishes the efforts of others plus it doesn't even come close to what the definition of what a synonym is.

Synonyms are different words with identical or very similar meanings. Words that are synonyms are said to be synonymous, and the state of being a synonym is called synonymy. The word comes from Ancient Greek syn (σύν) ("with") and onoma (ὄνομα) ("name"). The words car and automobile are synonyms.

Ubuntu (operating system), a Debian-based GNU/Linux distribution invoking the spirit of Ubuntu

Linux (commonly pronounced /ˈlɪnʌks/, LI-nuks in English,[5][6] also pronounced /ˈlɪnʊks/, LI-nooks[7]) is a generic term referring to Unix-like computer operating systems based on the Linux kernel.

Generic vs specific.
    Last edited by deanjo; 20 January 2010, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by some-guy View Post
      You do know that nearly all of those are either ubuntu spawned projects, or fixes/features for debian's tools
      What's wrong with starting a project? What's wrong with developing for the most used packaging system?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        You might want to read it yourself since it's clear you don't understand what a straw man is. ... Synonyms are ...
        heh, at least you are consequent

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          You wouldn't use apt-get as a substitute for "package manager."
          Actually I'm more likely to say "just apt-get it (or whatever you're using)" than "install it in your package manager".

If it's outright bugfixes I'd like Ubuntu to contribute them upsteam, but the kernel and base utilities are usually more than sufficient for Ubuntu's desktop needs. If it's more design and usability choices, I honestly understand why Ubuntu doesn't want to take it upstream much. Both the Gnome and KDE user community seems highly... opinionated is probably the polite term, basically Ubuntu decides they want to do it this way and do, then upstream can pick it up if they feel like but Ubuntu isn't going to fight for their way being the right way in subjective matters.

If people think the Ubuntu variety is better than the plain vanilla variety, maybe the up- and downstream thinking have to change, like it's not Ubuntu being responsible for pushing everything up. Maybe upstream have to work a little more like OpenGL, the various distros make extensions and upstream gathers them up and pulls them together to a standard base. Personally I like that Ubuntu keeps its focus on their users downstream, unlike some distros where users are almost "accidents" which generates support cases and no code contriutions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjella View Post
            Maybe upstream have to work a little more like OpenGL, the various distros make extensions and upstream gathers them up and pulls them together to a standard base. Personally I like that Ubuntu keeps its focus on their users downstream, unlike some distros where users are almost "accidents" which generates support cases and no code contriutions.
            Sounds like United linux and the LSB.

Last edited by deanjo; 20 January 2010, 10:35 AM. Reason: corrected United linux

Comment

Diversity! The benefit and simultaneously the curse of Linux.
              We have great distros all these years and while some of them like Gentoo, Arch and Slackware are specialized for a niche part of Linux user base, some others like Mandriva, OpenSUSE, PCLinuxOS etc could serve and amateur Linux users as well, but yet Linux stayed an exotic fruit, proper for the technical capable computer users only.
              Then came Ubuntu, which didn't improve Linux technology and didn't add extraordinary features. Yet it succeeded where every other user friendly distro did not. To give a taste of Linux to the casual windows user.
              In Greece, where people are less friendly towards Linux than other europian countries like Germany and France, there are more than 4500 members signed in the greek Ubuntu support forums, a community driven forum which offers support in matters around each flavour of Ubuntu. There, I see everyday questions like how I extract rar archives, what program is the equivalent of notepad, how I change theme etc etc... Stupid, easy problems which prove just one thing... Fresh Blood! Sometimes the questions go very far and guys ask how could they buy laptops with Ubuntu installed or if this System76 has qualitative products or how can they buy Dells with Ubuntu in Greece. Usually, they don't call their system Ubuntu, but they call it Ubuntus. In the same way they say windows... We even have a free digital magazine for Ubuntu, specialized to the noobs. The downloads of each issue are from 20,000 to 40,000! Yup! That high!
              I lie in greek Linux forums since 1999 offering support and counsel but windows users who use Linux in such a big scale, I've never encountered before.
              What Canonical did to achieve that? I don't know, but they 've built the largest Noob User Base around. That's the greatest contribution to Linux Desktop ever. Yet I see that almost everyone who doesn't use Ubuntu, keeps bitching against it. Well, I mere understand that. I don't like Ubuntu as well, but hell I don't like Fedora either or OpenSUSE and Mandriva. But I don't comment against them. I just use my preffered distro. Gentoo. That's the power of Linux. Choice. But still this is not something I would recommend to the windows user who decided to try this Linux thing. To all of them I suggest Ubuntu, because there is no reason the total newbie to be confused with a ton distros and because he feels that this Linux can't be really so difficult since thousands of other newbies like him keep using it...
              Afterall, is easier for him to jump later to another "better" distro from Ubuntu rather than from windows.
              Last edited by Apopas; 20 January 2010, 06:12 PM. Reason: grammatical fixes

Comment

I have nothing against Ubuntu. Like many others I have recommended it to many, including family and friends and their responses are positive. On my netbook I use a derivative of Ubuntu (Crunchbang Linux), at work I use Fedora, I prefer Gentoo and I'm "playing" with Arch. Like Apopas said, it's all about choice.

I don't know why I'm bothered by the Ubuntu fixation on Phoronix - I should be used to it by now. I still visit this site everyday, and yes there's the business model of page views, fair enough. It's just that I view this site as a (fairly) technical one, and it/Michael should keep the content objective IMHO.

Returning to topic (kernel 2.6.32) I'd like to know what other distros use/will use 2.6.32 other than Ubuntu 10.04. I've been testing Fedora 12 at work, and will probably upgrade our workstations to it, but F12 uses 2.6.31 so will that be bumped up, and if not how does that relate to this news? F12 should receive support/updates until december this year, right?

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
                  I'd like to know what other distros use/will use 2.6.32 other than Ubuntu 10.04
                  I believe Debian will be using it, which is another nice reason to provide longer support.

Meeting at the Linux Plumbers Conference in Oregon, the Debian kernel team has chosen the, as yet unfinished, Linux kernel version 2.6.32 for Debian Squeeze 6.0

Comment

Working...
                  X