Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
    amazing.

I remember a time when my big tower full of hardware wasn't enough to run even quake 1. Now q3 works on a device which is - minus battery and display - essentially the size of a matchbox.

am I supposed to feel old now?

On a less sentimental note, I like how the OS software stack grows together over the whole device spectrum. KDE4 on phones has been shown already. Once I can deploy my own software on those things for efficient synchronisation between cell phone, laptop and desktop, I'll buy. Screw App Store.
    Unless I'm mistaken, the N900 is already available. There's Qt4 (and probably all KDE4 libs, didn't check) and a few apps that use it already running on this phone, including a development version of a KDE office app (Koffice?) with a rewritten UI adapted to the small screen + touch input.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris84 View Post
      Hello guys. I own an Samsung i8910 HD (or also called Omnia HD). Afaik, this device uses the same CPU and GPU as the Nokia N900 does. The difference is the installed OS. Symbian S60 5th on the i8910 and MEAMO on the N900. Is it possible to run the engine (or better said: ALL WHATS NEEDED TO RUN THE GAME IN THE END ) on the SAMSUNG i8910?

My knowing about the OS's is not very good and I'm not a coder or something else, so I have noooo idea about souch things .

btw. PHORONIX ROCKS
      Chris, I got the same phone,

unfortunately the community of developers doesn't seem to be that big for this phone and especially the Symbian-platform in general

you first would have to port it from linux to symbian or at least add symbian-support for ioquake3

the controlling wouldn't be too good as well (there's an acceleration sensor in the phone) but I doubt that we'll see anything quake in the near future on this phone

I googled up a site yesterday which wrote of lots of improvements and additions with new firmwares for this phone but android, maemo, etc which a lot of people dream of seems pretty far-fetched (but not impossible)

on topic:

the mobile PowerVR graphics chip is pretty powerful - I recently saw a qt tech-demo and several other demos from PowerVR from what it could do and you can say that the performance at least matches the highest R300 chips from ATI/AMD (such as mobility radeon x600 or x700)

it's a lower resolution but nevertheless the performance you get for the "buck" / power consumption is great

Comment

It's more like a feature than it could bring any enjoyment... I've played q3 on N95... it runs, quite good actually, not so smooth as on N900, but actually playing it it's a PAIN.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird View Post
          The n900 port is derived from ioquake3. It is not related to any of the other Quake3 ports. The iphone version is based on the original quake3 and while it does use opengles it basically emulated glBegin and other old calls. The n900 port replaces all non-opengles compatible code. The pandora port is based on the iphone version.
          Ok... I stand corrected then. (And glad to be so...it translates into better prospects of some of the games using the engine being able to run well on OMAP3/Snapdragon/iMx.515 based devices.)

Comment

Ive been able to get this running on the pandora.

Comment

i love my n900, looking forward to this hitting maemo extras.

Comment

Originally posted by R3MF View Post
                Phoronix... this very old 'news' from the Maemo Summit (3 months ago, October 2009) in Amsterdam :-S

Maemo Summit Quake3 - Download as a PDF or view online for free

The download is available from the extras-devel if you really want it.

greets,

Gerard

Comment

Originally posted by R3MF View Post
                  Phoronix, this is not really 'news'. It is from the Maemo Summit (October 2009) in Amsterdam. Nonetheless is shows quite well the capabilities of this device and the TI OMAP.

Maemo Summit Quake3 - Download as a PDF or view online for free

The download is available from the extras-devel repository if you really wanna try it:

greets,

Gerard

Comment

Originally posted by gbraad View Post

Nonetheless is shows quite well the capabilities of this device and the TI OMAP.
                    Actually, the TI OMAP also has a crazy fast C64X DSP chip that isn't used at all in this, right? So, it's capabilities are far more than this shows. This is just the ARM and the opengl chip, i think.

Comment

the OMAP3 is powerful...

Originally posted by garytr24 View Post
                      Actually, the TI OMAP also has a crazy fast C64X DSP chip that isn't used at all in this, right? So, it's capabilities are far more than this shows. This is just the ARM and the opengl chip, i think.
                      The OMAP used in the N900 is a 3430. It is comparable to the OMAP3530 as used on a BeagleBoard. It is a ARM Cortex-A8, with a TMS320 C64x Fixed Point DSP and a PowerVR SGX (OpenGL ES). It is a very powerful CPU...

It is powerful and small: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gbraad/3755933364/
                      and http://picasaweb.google.com/gbraad/E...26314353433570

For ioquake runs entirely on the ARM and uses OpenGL ES as the graphics library.

Although the OMAP has a DSP, it is of no use in a game like ioquake. Maybe for decoding the audio streams if it is mp3 of ogg encoded or perhaps post-processing of the audio.

the DSP is however used on the N900 for Gstreamer. Some technical information is available:

Just an additional note: The ARM itself has what they call NEON instructions which are comparable to the SIMD instructions as provided by MMX for x86. The ARM can therefore also provide a lot of power! Often not completely utilized...

greets,

Gerard

Comment

Working...
                      X