Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 2 Benchmarks

Phoronix: Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 2 Benchmarks

With Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 2 having made it out yesterday, we couldn't resist but to run some new benchmarks of the Lucid Lynx after our original tests last month found Ubuntu 10.04 was off to a poor performance start. In some areas the performance of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Alpha 2 remains lower than in Ubuntu 9.10 -- largely due to performance regressions upstream in the Linux kernel -- but we have also included some very early performance numbers from Fedora 13.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, can you please benchmark the difference of enabling/disabling barriers in EXT4, since most notebooks are battery-backed, and it is safe to disable barriers?

I'm also curious how the "stripe" mount option affects EXT4's performance on RAID systems. I know using the equivalent options on XFS made a shockingly huge difference on my one system.

Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Larabel
      On average Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 2 was confusing one Watt less, which happened as less energy was beating consumed while the Lenovo ThinkPad T61 was idling but before the test had signaled the display to turn off via DPMS
      Confusing indeed. Someone needs a beating for these errors.

Did you hire a dyslexic copyeditor or are you trying out some fancy new spell checking software?

Comment

Has any sense comparing a stable release with an alpha release, assuming the fact that the alpha release has debug codes?
        I tried fedora 12 beta and fedora 12 "retail" on the same machine, and fedora 12 beta was completely unusable (Intel Pentium III 1 Ghz, 512 Mb RAM), while fedora 12 is much faster, so where's the point of comparing such uncompleted platforms?

Comment

wooh! go fedora! yeeeeah! partay! whoooo!

seriously phoronix... i don't use fedora(yet?), but i would LOVE to see more fedora articles.

ubuntu is an icecream sunday with a maraschino cherry on top.
          fedora is an icecream sunday with a real cherry on top.

one tastes better, but the other you know a little more about it's ingredients.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
            Michael, can you please benchmark the difference of enabling/disabling barriers in EXT4, since most notebooks are battery-backed, and it is safe to disable barriers?

I'm also curious how the "stripe" mount option affects EXT4's performance on RAID systems. I know using the equivalent options on XFS made a shockingly huge difference on my one system.

Thanks in advance

I just registered to second this request.

Thanks phoronix.

Comment

Working...
            X