Need to have some better security on the forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by movieman View Post
    'Captchas', for example, have devolved to the point where it's probably easier for a computer to read than for me to do so; I typically have to make two or three attempts before I can work one out.
    Yeah what the heck's that about?
    What's the point of making them almost unreadable by humans, it's not as though it's going to make it any harder for bots.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Once I find out whether this method works or not, I will make changes accordingly (i.e. make a plug-in so that only new users under five posts have a one minute edit limit).
      I officially suggest that this restriction be lifted on people with member id's <= 18

Anyway, yeah, just found out about this, and you should definitely consider lifting these limits a bit, maybe for members that have been signed up for at least a month or two. I very often edit my posts after 5/10/15 minutes because I remembered something or noticed a typo.

Comment

Maybe if we all manually went through some verification process that Mike sets up to have the restrictions lifted.
        Perhaps something a little more ingenious & less ubiquitous than your standard captcha system.

Besides, the restriction doesn't stop the initial post, which is all spammers care about, only subsequent edits.
        I don't see how it'd be that effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Just cut down the time that allows users to edit posts... To 1 Minute. So this might fix it.
          Arrgh... Now I'm going to spam the crud out of the forums pushing "updates" to the wishlist thread- and I was going to be starting part 3 soon (got several new deals booked or in progress of being so...)...

If it'll deal with the idiots doing forum spam, I'll cope...but...there's got to be a better answer.

Comment

Rather than a CAPTCHA, I've been seeing a lot of registration security questions involving simple math lately.
            Like:
            convert -background black -fill white label:"4 + 26" captcha.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
              "4 + 26"
              shit.... thats ughh..... 27

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                shit.... thats ughh..... 27
                See the Ontario system education is still at it's finest.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  See the Ontario system education is still at it's finest.
                  That should keep the crazy canucks out of this place

and why not ban the rest of 'em while you are at it, Michael

Comment

There goes some of the top posters here .

Ok so I may be bad at math... However im actually vary gud at engrish.

Comment

More spam

Comment

Working...
                      X