Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black screen during the boot

Hi everyone,

i'm using fedora 12 with plymouth and i have a black screen during the boot. And it takes a long time when the display switch from off to on.

I have an ATI 4870 and i'm using KMS with kernel 2.6.32 and radeon driver.

same problem here
    as soon as KMS is supposed to kick in the screen goes black during boot.

Kernel 2.6.32 with gentoo (but distri doesnt matter here I reckon)

grafik adapter is a Radeon HD 4890 (rv770?)

Comment

This almost certainly means that something is interfering with the KMS framebuffer.

Try disabling any framebuffer console you have in your kernel config. This usually helps.

Comment

This almost certainly means that something is interfering with the KMS framebuffer.

Try disabling any framebuffer console you have in your kernel config. This usually helps.
        Thanks

but how do you disable framebuffer console?
        Last edited by Sly154; 11 January 2010, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Does the machine eventually get a display or does the screen remain black, forcing a manual reboot? If it's the latter, add me to the list. Have not figured out what's causing it.

Comment

yes display is ok after the boot. the most annoying is the problem when the display goes on after it was suspended.
            Last edited by Sly154; 11 January 2010, 03:32 PM.

Comment

2.6.32.2 kms is broken on r6xx+. fix is in 2.6.32.3. Also you need fbcon loaded to get a console on the radeon drm framebuffer.

Comment

Ok thanks, i will update my kernel when i have the time.
                I tried with the kernel 2.6.31.9 provided with fedora and it's the same result.

Comment

Working...
                X