Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fermi!

Finally!

I hope they'll make a cut-down consumer-gamer version which will be within reach for normal people With that die size and 4bln transistors the chip must have been expensive to produce, and further thinking about the cooling and PSU needs... Give me a break...

Comment

I heard that they plan to initially rebrand their current 200 series to take care of the midrange. I have no doubt they will eventually start producing mid range Fermi cards, but given their difficulties I can see why they would do this initially.
      Last edited by Melcar; 09 January 2010, 02:41 PM.

Comment

This chip looks good, but I am afraid to see how much it will cost.. I'm guessing somewhere in the area of 500-600 USD, which for a new card thats the fastest single GPU on the market, I guess thats not too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by kyzz View Post
          This chip looks good, but I am afraid to see how much it will cost.. I'm guessing somewhere in the area of 500-600 USD, which for a new card thats the fastest single GPU on the market, I guess thats not too bad.
          I doubt it will be more then $500. AMD actually has something that can reasonably compete with it in performance unlike the 8800GTX days (years?).

Comment

If the introductory price of last generation's GTX 280 is any indicator, it will probably be launched at a price of USD 600 or more.

That is, unless AMD reduces the price of the Radeon HD 5970. But seeing the "leaked" benchmarks all over the web, AMD presently have little reason for doing so.

Comment

Man, the NDA has been lifted but all we got so far are even more rumors. Why is getting any sort of hard data on these things so hard? Latest "news" that's causing rage is the power consumption of the chip.

Edit:

Guesses on possible price:
              Last edited by Melcar; 21 January 2010, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                If the introductory price of last generation's GTX 280 is any indicator, it will probably be launched at a price of USD 600 or more.

That is, unless AMD reduces the price of the Radeon HD 5970. But seeing the "leaked" benchmarks all over the web, AMD presently have little reason for doing so.
                Top of the line ATI card at that time was still the badly outclassed 3870 and was still getting a licking laid on by Nvidia's then current 8 series however and it wasn't until a quarter later that the 4870 arrived to compete with the GTX260. Things are a bit closer this time around.

Comment

It is possible that NVidia launches Fermi for USD 500 but they would have to eat a loss for each unit sold, if the estimates for board costs are remotely accurate.

Regarding power consumption that is a good point. Reports that there will be special Fermi-certified cases and PSUs have appeared some time ago, and various tech sites saying that it will be the most power hungry NVidia chip of all time.

Comment

End-of-March? Ugh.

Any information on mid-range cards? (Performance / power consumption / release date?) I've seen some speculation for May/June, but maybe someone has more concrete info.

Also, I really hope the midrange won't be DX10-level 2xx cards rebranded to 3xx...

Comment

Working...
                    X