No announcement yet.

The Fermi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rumours are flying everywhere with regards to Fermi's power draw, and I've seen them range from 210W to 300W. There seems a general consensus that it will be fairly high at any rate, but there's no real information on its performance. We'll all just have to wait and see.

Comment

one thing is clear - Fermi is doing tesselation in Shaders. Ati has a tesselator.
      So when a game is shader have and wants to do tesselation, Fermi is screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
        one thing is clear - Fermi is doing tesselation in Shaders. Ati has a tesselator.
        So when a game is shader have and wants to do tesselation, Fermi is screwed.
        IIRC, official word is that it does have dedicated tessellation hardware, but I suppose that doesn't rule out the possibility that the driver also throws shaders at tessellation workloads when they're available (as the benchmarks I've seen seem to suggest).

Comment

no, official word is that one shader in each unit is doing tesselation when not doing shader-stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by daedaluz View Post
            Don't know how valid this is, but you really shouldn't get your hopes too high regarding Fermi:
            A little earlier this month, NVIDIA tweeted that it would formally unveil the GeForce GTX 400 series graphics cards, NVIDIA's DirectX 11 generation GPUs, at the PAX East gaming event in Boston (MA), United States, on the 26th of March. That's a little under a month's time from now. In its run up, so...

"Sources tell DonanimHaber that the GeForce GTX 470 performs somewhere between the ATI Radeon HD 5850 and Radeon HD 5870. This part is said to have a power draw of 300W."

That is ridiculous.
            Does anyone else get creepy dustblower vibes from the Fermi launch? Even the marketing uses the same slogan as on the FX series:

(source: techreport.com)

Creepy...

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
              no, official word is that one shader in each unit is doing tesselation when not doing shader-stuff.
              What's the source for that? I was referring to this:

Q: How is NVIDIA approaching the tessellation requirements for DX11 as none of the previous and current generation cards have any hardware specific to this technology?

Jason Paul, Product Manager, GeForce: Fermi has dedicated hardware for tessellation (sorry Rys :-P). We?ll share more details when we introduce Fermi?s graphics architecture shortly!
              Like I said, though, the two claims aren't necessarily inconsistent.

Comment

The tesselation is done via the "polymorph" engines attached to shader units (and feeding directly into them). While I'm not 100% sure of the details, I think the shader units are still used to handle some extra processing before the final rasterising step.
                The end result is some good parallel geometry magic, but it might suffer a little if the scene is more concerned with pixel/fragment shaders (pipeline stalls would really hit it hard here - the usual parallel programming problems).

Comment

Power hog?

...On the side of some retail boxed graphics cards it states that a minimum 600W or greater power supply (with a minimum +12V current of 42A) is needed for proper operation...

Comment

NVIDIA HAS BEEN hinting about the performance of its upcoming GTX480 cards, and several of our moles got a lot of hands on time with a few cards recently. If you are waiting for killer results from…

Comment

First images of the GTX 480:

NVIDIA is releasing their new DX11 Fermi architecture GeForce GPUs which begins with the GTX 480 and GTX 470 on March 26th at Pax East in Boston, Massachussets. However, GTX 480 and GTX 470...

Comment

Working...
                      X