X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
    What?! Does Steam work on Linux?!

So, CS, HL2, etc do work?
    They work without any fuss since 2009 with Wine. Up to this date, virtually any Openg GL game works. All games from Valve work. You, of course, shouldn't expect to run crysis (it works, although not very well), but they will get there eventually.

To run some newer games that eat up a lot of memory, you need to be prepared with at least 2GB of RAM, else, you may hit Swap and the performance will degrade really bad, even more than in Windows. A nVidia video card is highly recommended, as their proprietary video driver works best with wine. You just need to make sure your machine is working fine. It won't work if your specific Video Driver + Kernel has a bug that makes the performance go downhill.

And you may consider purchasing CrossOver Games, although their GUI is really messed up and they only officially support a few games, if you want the minimum amount of effort possible and maximum performance, you should consider it. And they contribute directly to the Wine project.

And if, you dig up and get your hands dirty, you can run some problematic games like Worms Armageddon and Age of Empires 2.

Comment

I agree with BlackStar on this one.

"sensible defaults" should be default.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
        Move your asses all of you and go vote for this still missing feature. It rocks
        definitely ! - very very useful feature

it's even a popular bug (New)

VOTE NOW

go go go

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
          definitely ! - very very useful feature

it's even a popular bug (New)

VOTE NOW

go go go
          More, more and even more mores

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            More, more and even more mores
            It's now fixed (apparently - I'm still compiling!)

Comment

Yeah, It is fixed in 4.3 as well, but well hidden so noone notices and spend his system resources

Comment

Well, I'm one of those spartan openbox users, for me xcompmgr window shadows is crazy bling But I really have to say that KDE looks mighty fine these days.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  Is it really too much to ask for sensible defaults so that (a) the application fits the rest of the desktop and (b) it is actually usable out of the box without tweaks? (Usable usually entails not wanting to stab your eyes out due to braindead design decisions.)

I guess this means that the hideous 64px rewind/pause/play overlaid icons are still the default, no? "Hey, look at our application! We have big, overlapping icons, we are so different from the others, look at us!"

Adriano's Amarok looks fantastic in comparison to the 4.3 default.
                  Adriano only chose View → thin utilities panel, that's all. It's almost the same as default. It looks better, but I prefer normal view. It's funny you're complaining about such things while Rhythmbox or Banshee look like piece of "trash" and their usability is far from usability of Amarok2 (like KDE is much more usable then Gnome). I don't remember you were complaining about them. Oh, afaik Amarok development is independent to KDE development. I have KDE 4.3 and if I do what Adriano did my Amarok will look the same.

Btw. this is what you should tell gnome devs:

Is it really too much to ask for sensible defaults so that (a) the application fits the rest of the desktop and (b) it is actually usable out of the box without tweaks? (Usable usually entails not wanting to stab your eyes out due to braindead design decisions.)
                  Default are nightmare there. Thanks to Ubuntu it is "usable".
                  Last edited by kraftman; 09 January 2010, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    Adriano only chose View → thin utilities panel, that's all. It's almost the same as default. It looks better, but I prefer normal view. It's funny you're complaining about such things while Rhythmbox or Banshee look like piece of "trash" and their usability is far from usability of Amarok2 (like KDE is much more usable then Gnome). I don't remember you were complaining about them. Oh, afaik Amarok development is independent to KDE development. I have KDE 4.3 and if I do what Adriano did my Amarok will look the same.

Btw. this is what you should tell gnome devs:

Default are nightmare there. Thanks to Ubuntu it is "usable".
                    Look, I understand you fancy yourself as a KDE crusader defending the one true religion or something but this thread is about a new KDE release so lets try to keep it on topic, shall we?

(Hint: complaining about Gnome applications on a KDE thread is off-topic).

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                      Look, I understand you fancy yourself as a KDE crusader defending the one true religion or something but this thread is about a new KDE release so lets try to keep it on topic, shall we?
                      I explained how easy is to have such looking Amarok. However, it's probably something hardly imaginable for a gnome troll. It is you who's defending one true religion - how apps must look, what options must be available etc. Gnomish way. I still wonder what's the default Amarok in 4.3?

(Hint: complaining about Gnome applications on a KDE thread is off-topic).
                      Last time you had problems when someone talked about Gnome applications in Gnome thread.
                      Last edited by kraftman; 09 January 2010, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X