Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 4.4 Release Candidate 1 Released

Phoronix: KDE 4.4 Release Candidate 1 Released

There's only a few weeks left until KDE 4.4 will be released, but being released this morning is the first release candidate of the KDE 4.4 Software Compilation. KDE 4.4 is set to deliver new applications, improvements to the Plasma desktop, Nepomuk search advancements, and many other improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know if this is the default theme, but dolphin is way prettier than before. The screenshot still suffers from font overload (I count at least 7 different styles in that screenshot, not counting colors) and i'm afraid the aggressive lines will rear their ugly head when you activate a window (can anyone confirm?), but on the whole the theme looks like a nice step forward from 4.3.

Comment

BlackStar, if you don't like the font, just change it with your favorite. There is a pretty nifty font configuration tool on KDE since... well, since KDE 3...

But, of course, it wouldn't hurt to make better factory defaults.

And by the way, this rc1 looks even better than this screenshot

Comment

The lines on focused windows can be turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by krazy View Post
          Well duh. I'm asking whether the lines are visible on the default theme (key word: default), not whether they can be turned off.

BlackStar, if you don't like the font, just change it with your favorite. There is a pretty nifty font configuration tool on KDE since... well, since KDE 3...
          Of course, but the question is why does a simple pop-up (bottom-right window) need 5 different font color/styles crammed in its 200x300px window? Nitpicky, I know, but I find this rather irritating.

Same thing for dolphin ("FIle" "Edit" vs "Back", "Up" vs "Search..." vs "Type: Folder" to the right) and the taskbar (taskbar buttons use a different font than typical windows and the clock uses a particularly ugly face).
          Last edited by BlackStar; 08 January 2010, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            I don't know if this is the default theme, but dolphin is way prettier than before. The screenshot still suffers from font overload (I count at least 7 different styles in that screenshot, not counting colors) and i'm afraid the aggressive lines will rear their ugly head when you activate a window (can anyone confirm?), but on the whole the theme looks like a nice step forward from 4.3.
            There are much nicer Dolphin themes at kde-look.org.

Comment

kde4 is always better and better. it's just a great DE.

Comment

Congratulations to a congenial contribution - Cornelius! A cognomen of conclusion, with no cluttering K:s carelessly clobbering this spectacular accomplishment.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  Well duh. I'm asking whether the lines are visible on the default theme (key word: default), not whether they can be turned off.
                  In 4.4 the stripes are disabled by default thanks to the abilities of the new improved (as in features) Oxygen windeco:
                  If you are that type of user that uses KDE from trunk them this might not be new to you, but for the rest of the world here goes a screensh...

Comment

Originally posted by krazy View Post
                    In the end, I think they look good and work great.

But, for BlackStar pleasure, They are turned off by default on KDE SC 4.4 rc1

And that's my cool kde 4.4 rc1 desktop:

Comment

Working...
                    X