KDE 4.4 Release Candidate 1 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    I don't know if this is the default theme, but dolphin is way prettier than before.
    That might be just me, but imho my current KDE 4.3 Dolphin looks almost the same?

Comment

Move your asses all of you and go vote for this still missing feature. It rocks

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
        That might be just me, but imho my current KDE 4.3 Dolphin looks almost the same?
        Dunno, I have an openSUSE / KDE 4.3 virtual machine and out of the box dolphin looks nothing like this. It's gray, flat and ugly. In fact, it's so bad I no longer fire the VM if I can avoid it.

Originally posted by Adriano ML
        But, for BlackStar pleasure, They are turned off by default on KDE SC 4.4 rc1
        Great! Less fiddling for me == good.

Comment

Originally posted by Adriano ML View Post
          And that's my cool kde 4.4 rc1 desktop:
          Thumbs up for your selection of music Also congrats to whomever got amarok to fix their damned pause/play buttons. Finally thumbs up for the clean and uncluttered window chrome (much better than 4.3).

On the other hand boo for the font madness (not your fault)! Biggest offenders the butt-ugly bold text on taskbar buttons and the even uglier text in "Hardware Info". The latter might be salvage-able with light hinting + subpixel AA, but there's nothing that can save the former. Ugh!

Comment

There were two things in that screenshot that left me in such a state of shock that I could not actually focus my attention in KDE itself:

-The rectangular thing with a ton of icons.
            -You listen to Iron Maiden AND Julio Iglesias (!)

Comment

Thumbs up for your selection of music Also congrats to whomever got amarok to fix their damned pause/play buttons. Finally thumbs up for the clean and uncluttered window chrome (much better than 4.3).

On the other hand boo for the font madness (not your fault)! Biggest offenders the butt-ugly bold text on taskbar buttons and the even uglier text in "Hardware Info". The latter might be salvage-able with light hinting + subpixel AA, but there's nothing that can save the former. Ugh!
              I should point out that I've made many tweaks. It's fairly easy to do it.

I just got rid of the amarok context panel by joining it with the playlist, therefore making both of then switchable trough a tab bar. And I changed the main toolbar to the simpler one, which in my opinion is light years ahead the default one.

The fonts are more about Taste and Situation. I use a somewhat old Professional CRT monitor, so I just care about text/image sharpening on the vertical.(Which is applyed by the video driver, and does not appear on the screenshot) The bold text on the Taskbar makes it a million times more readable with the trasparent background. I'm using the Liberation family, and It really works much better for very small fonts (7pt, 8pt) than the standard ones.

You may see the window background too cold, too bright or not even the slight gradient effect (compressed colors). But that's because your monitor may not be well calibrated.

But well.. Although there are still many little annoyances with KDE, I can't really complain. It's just shaping up so good and most of the time even better than any Windows version

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
              There were two things in that screenshot that left me in such a state of shock that I could not actually focus my attention in KDE itself:

-The rectangular thing with a ton of icons.
              -You listen to Iron Maiden AND Julio Iglesias (!)
              That little rectangular thing is the main thing that makes me don't want to boot Windows.

And about my music collection... I just happen to listen to anything, providing it sounds decent enough

Comment

Thumbs up for your selection of music Also congrats to whomever got amarok to fix their damned pause/play buttons.
                Amarok is fully customizable. You can move its parts wherever you want :P

Comment

In the end, I think they look good and work great.

But, for BlackStar pleasure, They are turned off by default on KDE SC 4.4 rc1

What?! Does Steam work on Linux?!

So, CS, HL2, etc do work?

Comment

Looks like a huge step forward, much better virtual desktop features as well, something I use a lot. I've been anticipating 4.4 for a long time now. I'm extremely interested in how GNOME 3.0 is going to match up to KDE 4.5, finally some real competition between the two again.

It's an interesting situation between the two. I use KDE myself but give relatives gnome for the simplicity (never having to explain anything is quite the time saver). I wonder how they'd get on with KDE, not quite sure it's there yet for them, might be an interesting experiment with 4.4.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                      Amarok is fully customizable. You can move its parts wherever you want :P
                      Is it really too much to ask for sensible defaults so that (a) the application fits the rest of the desktop and (b) it is actually usable out of the box without tweaks? (Usable usually entails not wanting to stab your eyes out due to braindead design decisions.)

I guess this means that the hideous 64px rewind/pause/play overlaid icons are still the default, no? "Hey, look at our application! We have big, overlapping icons, we are so different from the others, look at us!"

Adriano's Amarok looks fantastic in comparison to the 4.3 default.

Originally posted by Adriano ML
                      The bold text on the Taskbar makes it a million times more readable with the trasparent background.
                      Well, that's more of an argument against a white transparent taskbar rather than an argument in favor of bold, stubby fonts.

Comment

Working...
                      X