Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE 4.4 Release Candidate 1 Released

Default KDE 4.4 Release Candidate 1 Released

Phoronix: KDE 4.4 Release Candidate 1 Released

There's only a few weeks left until KDE 4.4 will be released, but being released this morning is the first release candidate of the KDE 4.4 Software Compilation. KDE 4.4 is set to deliver new applications, improvements to the Plasma desktop, Nepomuk search advancements, and many other improvements...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzg2Nw

I don't know if this is the default theme, but dolphin is way prettier than before. The screenshot still suffers from font overload (I count at least 7 different styles in that screenshot, not counting colors) and i'm afraid the aggressive lines will rear their ugly head when you activate a window (can anyone confirm?), but on the whole the theme looks like a nice step forward from 4.3.

BlackStar, if you don't like the font, just change it with your favorite. There is a pretty nifty font configuration tool on KDE since... well, since KDE 3...

But, of course, it wouldn't hurt to make better factory defaults.

And by the way, this rc1 looks even better than this screenshot

The lines on focused windows can be turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by krazy View Post
    Well duh. I'm asking whether the lines are visible on the default theme (key word: default), not whether they can be turned off.

BlackStar, if you don't like the font, just change it with your favorite. There is a pretty nifty font configuration tool on KDE since... well, since KDE 3...
    Of course, but the question is why does a simple pop-up (bottom-right window) need 5 different font color/styles crammed in its 200x300px window? Nitpicky, I know, but I find this rather irritating.

Same thing for dolphin ("FIle" "Edit" vs "Back", "Up" vs "Search..." vs "Type: Folder" to the right) and the taskbar (taskbar buttons use a different font than typical windows and the clock uses a particularly ugly face).
    Last edited by BlackStar; 01-08-2010 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    I don't know if this is the default theme, but dolphin is way prettier than before. The screenshot still suffers from font overload (I count at least 7 different styles in that screenshot, not counting colors) and i'm afraid the aggressive lines will rear their ugly head when you activate a window (can anyone confirm?), but on the whole the theme looks like a nice step forward from 4.3.
    There are much nicer Dolphin themes at kde-look.org.

kde4 is always better and better. it's just a great DE.

Congratulations to a congenial contribution - Cornelius! A cognomen of conclusion, with no cluttering K:s carelessly clobbering this spectacular accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Well duh. I'm asking whether the lines are visible on the default theme (key word: default), not whether they can be turned off.
    In 4.4 the stripes are disabled by default thanks to the abilities of the new improved (as in features) Oxygen windeco:
    http://pinheiro-kde.blogspot.com/200...creenshot.html
    http://www.ossblog.it/post/5584/kde-sc-44-alcuni-video

Quote Originally Posted by krazy View Post
    In the end, I think they look good and work great.

But, for BlackStar pleasure, They are turned off by default on KDE SC 4.4 rc1

And that's my cool kde 4.4 rc1 desktop: